McClatchy DC Logo

12 Guantanamo detainees freed; captive count at 8-year low | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

12 Guantanamo detainees freed; captive count at 8-year low

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 19, 2009 04:39 PM

The United States freed a dozen men from Guantanamo this week -- including one of the last captives sent there by the Bush administration -- in a mission that dropped detainees off in Yemen, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa.

The dozen included six Yemenis, four Afghans and two Somali citizens. Their departure left the prison camp census at 198 on Saturday -- the first time the detention center dropped below 200 captives since February 2002.

Defense and Justice Department officials Saturday refused to comment on the massive transfer, a portion of which was reported by The Washington Post on Friday as a potential "prelude to the release of dozens more detainees to Yemen'' at a time of gathering Republican resistance to the White House plan to move other detainees to Thomson, Ill.

Reports from Somaliland, a breakaway region in northern Somalia that has its own autonomous government, identified the freed Somalis as Ismael Arale, 45, and Mohamed Suleiman Barre, 44.

SIGN UP

Arale and Barre were processed by the Somaliland government and then released to rejoin their families in Hargeisa, the major city in Somaliland and capital of the region, according to a statement on the official Somaliland Web site.

The United States does not recognize the government in Somaliland and there were no official statements on how Arale and Barre arrived there. A local newspaper, the Somaliland Press, said they arrived aboard a jet provided by the International Committee of the Red Cross, suggesting that the United States had released the men to the Red Cross in a third country.

Arale, who's been described as a document forger and Islamic jurist, was captured in Somalia in 2006 was one of the last detainees ever taken to Guantánamo.

The Pentagon said in a June 6, 2007, announcement that Arale ``exemplifies the genuine threat that the United States and other countries face throughout the world from dangerous extremists.''

It also noted, ``The detainees being held at Guantánamo have provided information essential to our ability to better understand how al Qaeda operates and thus to prevent future attacks.''

Arale and Barre had lawsuits seeking their release pending before federal courts in Washington, D.C., but judges had not ruled in either case.

Virtually all of the allegations against Arale were blacked out by the government in his court filing. The few sentences made public said that he lived in Pakistan from 2000 to 2006, worked there as an airline ticket agent for three years and had also been a student. The document says he was captured after he returned to Somalia in 2006, but by whom and under what circumstances are not clear.

The identities of the other 10 transferred detainees were not immediately known but Yemenis make up the largest single group of detainees at Guantánamo. Federal judges this week ordered three Yemenis released, saying they had been detained illegally. There are about 90 Yemenis at Guantánamo.

The United States has attempted for years to negotiate an agreement with Yemen that would allow for the repatriation of Yemenis at Guantánamo, many of whom have been cleared for release. But U.S. officials have been reluctant to allow them simply to go free in their homeland, which has a burgeoning al Qaeda presence and is the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, whose father was Yemeni.

Based on the Pentagon's own documents, this week's transfer means there are no longer any Somali nationals at Guantánamo.

The Pentagon says it brought its last captive to Guantánamo on March, 14, 2008. He was identified him as Muhammed Rahim al Afghani.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

March 03, 2009 01:20 PM

crime

Even in cases the U.S. wins, Guantanamo evidence is suspect

December 16, 2009 06:51 PM

politics-government

U.S. will move its war court from Guantanamo to Illinois

December 15, 2009 07:39 PM

world

Pentagon drops charges against Kuwaiti released from Guantanamo

December 11, 2009 12:16 PM

world

U.S. frees Kuwaiti who judge said was abused at Guantanamo

December 09, 2009 05:07 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story