McClatchy DC Logo

Pakistani army intelligence is target of massive truck bomb | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pakistani army intelligence is target of massive truck bomb

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 08, 2009 05:07 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — An insurgent driving a truck laden with up to a ton of explosives targeted an office of Pakistan's premier military intelligence agency Tuesday, the latest assault in a terrorist rampage that's left 500 people dead since early October.

Tuesday's attack, which killed 12 people, was aimed at the office of Inter-Services Intelligence in the city of Multan, in the south of Punjab province. On Monday, a bomb tore through a market in Punjab's provincial capital, Lahore, killing 49 people.

The small truck drove up to a checkpoint manned by police and the army just before noon Tuesday in Multan, about 50 yards from the ISI building. When challenged, a man climbed out of the cab and launched a rocket-propelled grenade toward the security guards, according to Mohammad Ali Gardezi, a senior local official. Police returned fire.

"Because of the police firing, the truck couldn't reach its target," Gardezi said, adding that it was estimated that the vehicle was packed with 800 to 1000 kilograms of explosives.

SIGN UP

The significance of the attack in Multan is partly due to its location in southern Punjab, an area that previously had suffered little terrorist violence in the insurgent offensive. One reason is that the region has housed militant groups that the ISI had backed secretly in the past. Analysts think that some of those extremist groups now have linked instead to al Qaida.

The insurgent assaults have coincided with the military's offensive against the base of the Pakistani Taliban in South Waziristan, in Pakistan's lawless tribal belt on the border with Afghanistan.

While Washington is publicly pressing Pakistan to move against Afghan insurgents who are based on its soil, a crucial element in the new Obama administration plan for Afghanistan, Islamabad says that it's fully stretched trying to combat the al Qaida-inspired domestic insurgency.

The Multan blast left a crater some 15 feet deep and 30 feet across, with a force that knocked down surrounding buildings, including an apartment block provided for ISI employees. Twelve people were killed and 30 wounded, including some children. Had the truck reached the ISI office, the results probably would have been devastating.

Meanwhile, a brewing political crisis in Islamabad that could result in the ouster of many top government officials continues to sap the country's attention. On Tuesday, the Supreme Court received details of long-standing corruption charges leveled against pro-Western President Asif Ali Zardari, including the accusation that he had $1.5 billion in "assets beyond means."

Under an amnesty that the U.S. had helped to mediate, politicians and bureaucrats had waived unproved charges against them dating to the 1990s, accusations that they claimed were politically motivated.

The court Tuesday received a list of 248 beneficiaries of the amnesty from the government's anti-corruption watchdog. It listed six corruption charges against Zardari that had been dropped, including alleged misuse of authority and graft in the awarding of contracts.

The presidency reacted sharply to the dredging up of the old cases, which date from when Zardari's late wife, Benazir Bhutto, was the prime minister. Zardari succeeded Bhutto as the leader of the now-ruling Pakistan People's Party after she was assassinated in 2007.

"None of the charges leveled against Madam Benazir Bhutto and Mr. Asif Ali Zardari could be proved in any court of law despite spending hundreds of millions from public exchequer and relentless witch hunting spread over countries and continents," said Farhatullah Babar, a representative for the president. "The regurgitation of these allegations at this time is part of the ongoing media trial of the PPP leadership."

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Pakistan bombings kill 40 as government fights for survival

Senior Pakistani officers among dozens dead in mosque attack

Afghans, Pakistanis voice doubts about U.S. strategy

Attack shows growing danger faced by Pakistani journalists

Pakistan military moving to undercut Zardari over his close U.S. ties

Follow Washington developments at McClatchy's Planet Washington.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

New Muslim congresswoman to be sworn in with Thomas Jefferson’s centuries-old Quran

January 03, 2019 11:25 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story