McClatchy DC Logo

U.N. to scale back in Kabul as it ponders better security | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.N. to scale back in Kabul as it ponders better security

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 05, 2009 01:20 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A week after pre-dawn attack killed five members of its Kabul staff, the United Nations on Thursday announced plans to scale back its operations in the city temporarily while it re-evaluates dangers in the country.

Although the U.N. said the decision to relocate about half of its international staff shouldn't be seen as a diplomatic retreat, the move comes amid concerns that the deadly attack has emboldened Taliban fighters, who may try to strike again.

"They realize that if they hit the United Nations again, there's a serious risk of the United Nations leaving the country," said one diplomat in Kabul, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity so that he could speak candidly about the U.N. plans.

One of the biggest worries is that insurgents in Afghanistan are trying to duplicate the strategy of Iraqi extremists who forced the United Nations to shutter its Iraqi operations in 2003 after a truck bomb hit the U.N. headquarters and killed 22 people, including the top U.N. official in the country.

SIGN UP

If the U.N. were to pull out of Afghanistan, it would force all other international aid groups to rethink their work in the country and would undermine President Hamid Karzai's shaky government.

"That's the name of the game: Get the U.N. out," the diplomat said. "If they can get the United Nations out, then they think they can take out the Karzai government."

Kai Eide, the Norwegian diplomat who heads the U.N. mission in Afghanistan, said there were no plans to abandon the country.

"We are not talking about pulling out," Eide said at a news conference in Kabul. Instead, he said, the U.N. is going to relocate hundreds of international workers while it figures out how to protect the staff better.

The United Nations has about 1,200 international staff members in Afghanistan. About 600 nonessential staff will be relocated temporarily to other parts of Afghanistan or to nearby regional offices, said Aleem Siddique, a spokesman for the U.N. operation in Afghanistan.

Currently, much of the staff lives in a well-known network of small, lightly guarded guesthouses, spread across Kabul.

Last week, three militants wearing Afghan police uniforms exploited the vulnerability of the guesthouses by scaling the walls of one compound and staging an attack that killed five United Nations workers, two Afghan security guards and the relative of an Afghan politician.

Afghan officials said six men had been arrested and accused of planning the attack.

Over the next four to six weeks, Siddique said, the U.N. will search for ways to consolidate its housing to reduce the dangers.

"We are not going to be deterred by the threats of terrorist and extremists," Siddique said. "We have no intention of leaving anytime soon."

Along with its international staff, the U.N. has about 4,000 Afghan employees who'll continue their work, Siddique said.

The United Nations is facing increasing dangers in the region, which make it more difficult for its staff to work in the area.

Last week, the United Nations decided to pull its international staff out of northwestern Pakistan. A suicide bomber struck a U.N. office last month in Islamabad, killing five people who worked for the World Food Program.

The U.N. decision in Kabul came on the same day that a NATO strike in southern Afghanistan reportedly killed as many as 11 civilians and sparked local protests.

In a statement released Thursday, NATO said its forces had fired a rocket at a group of nine people who were thought to be concealing an improvised bomb in a village in Helmand province and that the troops didn't know of any civilians in the area.

NATO said it was looking into the allegations. "If any civilians were injured through our actions we deeply regret it," it said in the statement.

Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top commander in Afghanistan, put tougher restrictions on air attacks this summer in an effort to cut down on civilian casualties, which have angered the Afghan government and undermined efforts to win over the civilian population.

(Jay Price of The (Raleigh) News & Observer contributed to this report from Kabul).

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. officials fear Karzai can't keep anti-corruption pledge

Notorious Afghan warlord returns to help Karzai

As possible Afghan war-crimes evidence removed, U.S. silent

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story