McClatchy DC Logo

Suicide car bomber kills 17 outside Kabul’s Indian Embassy | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Suicide car bomber kills 17 outside Kabul’s Indian Embassy

Sarah Davison - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 08, 2009 08:47 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan -- A car bomb exploded outside the Indian Embassy in Kabul on Thursday, killing 17 people and wounding 76 in the second suicide attack on the embassy in 16 months.

Blast walls contained the explosion, and no one died inside the embassy or at the Ministry of Interior across the road. Dozens on the road were killed and wounded, however. The bomb exploded at 8:40 a.m. local time, when many victims were on their way to work.

"The explosion threw me off my bicycle, and I was unconscious," Mohammad Osman Shaor, a government worker, told Reuters from his hospital bed.

Abdul Rahman, 19, was hospitalized with blast injuries to his right eye, right arm and left foot. "I was on the street in front of the ministry, but I didn't see the car," he said.

SIGN UP

The Afghan National Police said a Toyota SUV exploded when two policemen went up to tell the driver to move his vehicle. Those policemen as well as women and children are among the dead.

Officials said the toll would have been higher but that a nearby market was closed at the time. Also, the Indian embassy moved its visa issuance office to another location after last year's bomb, so there no longer are crowds gathered around the embassy's entrance.

The Ministry of Interior said the Taliban had claimed responsibility, with Jalaluddin Haqqani’s network considered the most likely culprit.

Haqqani, a militia commander who fought the Russians in Afghanistan decades ago, was responsible for the embassy attack last year. His tribal militia has strong ties to al Qaida and to Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate.

The ISI has denied any role in last year's attack.

Pakistan objects to India's massive, $1.2 billion aid program in Afghanistan, however, as well as its prominent diplomatic presence with a large embassy and four consulates.

Islamabad claims that India's aggressive outreach is depriving Pakistan of the "strategic depth" it needs to contain what it views as the Indian threat.

"I don't think there is any doubt about it: Some rogue elements in the ISI are very upset about India's activities in Afghanistan, even though they are very soft, culture and construction initiatives," said Haroun Mir, the director of the Afghanistan Center for Research and Policy Studies.

It was the fourth suicide bomb in nine weeks in Kabul, and it comes as President Barack Obama is debating how to change U.S. strategy in the eight-year-old war.

A recent map by the International Council on Security, an international policy-research center, indicated that the Taliban insurgency is now in control of more than 80 percent of Afghanistan.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul issued a statement deploring Thursday's attack: “There is no justification for this kind of senseless violence.”

Violence in Afghanistan is at the highest levels since the Taliban were routed in 2001, and the nation is struggling to resolve a presidential election marred by fraud.

Afghan police said that many of the most recent suicide bombs were left over from the run-up to the Aug. 20 presidential election.

Police said the sophistication of the bombs was increasing rapidly.

"This equipment is new and improved," Gen. Sayed Abdul Ghafar Sayed Zada said within a couple of hours of the blast. "These explosives are very sophisticated, not like a year ago."

The last suicide bomb was three weeks ago. Six Italian soldiers and 10 civilians died Sept. 17 when a huge blast hit the airport road near the U.S. Embassy.

On Sept. 8, several Afghans died when a suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at the entrance to the Kabul airport.

On Aug. 15, seven people were killed and 90 wounded when a suicide bomber hit the entrance to NATO's headquarters in Kabul.

(Davison is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Afghanistan patrol shows limits of U.S. equipment, supplies

Obama asked for early look at Afghanistan troop request

Suicide bomber kills 5 workers at U.N. building in Pakistan

For U.S. combat soldiers, new role in Iraq is frustrating

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story