McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. releases 3 Guantanamo prisoners to Yemen, Ireland | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. releases 3 Guantanamo prisoners to Yemen, Ireland

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 27, 2009 01:09 AM

Even as the White House left doubt on whether it would meet its own prison camps closure deadline, the Obama administration said Saturday it had freed three detainees from Guantanamo — one by order of a federal judge to Yemen, two others for new lives in Ireland.

A Justice Department statement said Yemeni Alla Ali Bin Ali Ahmed, 26, was sent to his homeland in compliance with a May 4 federal court order.

In Ahmed's case, U.S. Judge Gladys Kessler ruled in May that the government's mosaic of evidence was insufficient to defend its indefinite detention of the long-held captive — either on grounds he fought with the Taliban in Afghanistan or was in league with al Qaeda in Pakistan.

The young Yemeni was captured in a large-scale March 2002 Pakistani raid on an alleged al Qaeda guest house in that netted the CIA alleged arch-terrorist Abu Zubaydah and other alleged war criminals now held at the prison camps in southeast Cuba.

SIGN UP

The U.S. government did not identify the two men sent to Ireland but Dublin had earlier said that both approved for resettlement were citizens of Uzbekistan who feared persecution if they were returned to their homeland.

Irish human rights groups had long campaigned to resettle one Uzbek in particular, Oybek Jabbarov, 31, who said through his Boston attorney that he wanted to become a shepherd there.

The lawyer, Michael Mone, has cast his client as naive about the world, and frequently compared him to the comic film character Borat.

The weekend transfer reduced the prison camps census at Guantánamo to 223, including some 75 men whom an Obama task force had approved for release. Of the 75, 26 are Yemeni and 13 are Chinese citizens of the ethnic Uighur minority, many of whom are bound for new lives in the Pacific island nation of Palau.

The Associated Press reported Friday, quoting White House sources, that there might be some slippage in President Barack Obama's Jan. 22 deadline to empty the prison camps through releases and transfers, including some cases to federal court for civilian prosecution. Congress has opposed plans to detain some on U.S. soil.

Saturday's announcement was noteworthy as a rare transfer to Yemen. It showed the Pentagon complying with a civilian judge's release order, rather than appealing it.

And it was the first transfer of a Guantanamo detainee to Osama bin Laden's ancestral homeland since the prison camps sent home the remains of another Yemeni captive in June after what the Pentagon called an apparent suicide.

The cause of Mohammed al Hanashi's death is still under investigation but military and detainees both reported the long-held 31-year-old captive was found dead in a prison camp psychiatric ward.

Yemen stillhas about 90 citizens held prisoner at Guantánamo because the U.S. State Department has not succeeded in negotiating a comprehensive repatriation and rehabilitation agreement with the government of President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

In Washington, a Yemeni statement confirmed this weekend's release.

"Yemen will continue its diplomatic dialogue with the United States government to repatriate the remaining Yemeni detainees," it said, adding: "Yemen hails the decision of President Obama to shut down the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, and it is an astute reflection of the prudent national security and foreign policy position of the new U.S. administration."

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Algerian seized with Abu Zubaydah loses habeas case

September 24, 2009 02:55 PM

crime

Courts delays Guantanamo case of Saudi who alleges torture

September 24, 2009 12:22 PM

world

Accused 9-11 mastermind says 'Allah' will defend him

September 24, 2009 07:12 AM

world

Alleged 9/11 mastermind given copy of My Lai massacre film

September 21, 2009 08:25 PM

world

Guantanamo judge delays 9/11 cases; civilian trials pondered

September 21, 2009 04:40 PM

politics-government

4 prosecutors vie to try 9/11 suspects in civilian courts

September 21, 2009 12:49 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story