McClatchy DC Logo

Yet another Kuwaiti at Guantanamo is ordered freed | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Yet another Kuwaiti at Guantanamo is ordered freed

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 17, 2009 11:29 PM

A federal judge late Thursday ordered the Obama administration to set free a 50-year-old Kuwaiti aeronautics engineer who had been held as a war crimes suspect at Guantanamo since 2002.

U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly filed the sealed decision to grant a writ of habeas corpus for Fouad al Rabia, 50, Thursday evening at the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. The public portion of her order instructed the U.S. government "to take all necessary and appropriate diplomatic steps'' to arrange Rabia's release "forthwith.''

Defense attorneys argued at four-day court hearing last month that the U.S. military had worn Rabia down through relentless and abusive interrogation to the point where he falsely confessed that he ran a supply depot in the Battle of Tora Bora in Afghanistan in December 2001.

Kollar-Kotelly's order raised the tally to 30 long-held Guantanamo detainees who civilian judges have decided were unlawfully held at Guantánamo -- compared with seven captives whose detentions have been approved once the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the war on terror captives' could challenge their detentions in federal court.

SIGN UP

Rabia also became the second man among the 30 war on terror captives ordered released who had been facing a war crime charge sworn out by a Pentagon prosecutor.

This summer, Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle ordered alleged Afghan war criminal Mohammed Jawad repatriated after concluding that Jawad's military commissions case was a "shambles.'' The Pentagon sent Jawad home to Afghanistan.

There was no immediate comment from the Pentagon's Office of Military Commissions, which handles the Guantánamo war crimes cases. At the Justice Department, National Security Division spokesman Dean Boyd said lawyers were "reviewing the ruling.''

Rabia, a father of four, claimed he went to Afghanistan after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on a humanitarian mission in keeping with his devotion to a tenet of Islam that requires charitable giving. He said he had been employed by Kuwaiti Airways at the time of his trip, and was on an approved vacation.

Most of his late August hearing was closed to the public as defense and Justice Department attorneys dueled over the classified record of his interrogations and case developed at the detention center at the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba.

His lawyer, David Cynamon, argued at an unclassified portion of his hearing last month that U.S. interrogators learned of Rabia's Arabic honorific, Abu Abdullah al Kuwaiti, and confused him with another Kuwaiti who had the same nickname. That Abu Abdullah did handle logistics and supplies in the showdown between U.S. Special Forces and their allies and loyalists to Osama bin Laden at Tora Bora, said Cynamon. But he was killed in the American-led shock-and-awe strikes on al Qaeda fanatics defending bin Laden in a tunnel and cave complex.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Judges siding with detainees in Guantanamo habeas cases

September 07, 2009 09:13 PM

HOMEPAGE

Release order for Fouad Mahmoud al Rabia

September 17, 2009 11:38 PM

national

Belgium offers asylum to Guantanamo detainee

September 04, 2009 05:42 PM

world

Court documents name detainees sent to Portugal

August 31, 2009 12:39 PM

national

U.S. sends two Syrians from Guantanamo to Portugal

August 28, 2009 07:08 PM

world

Shackles and blindfold for freed detainee on his way home

August 24, 2009 01:50 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story