McClatchy DC Logo

Tensions rise as Iraq blames Baathists in Syria for bombings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Tensions rise as Iraq blames Baathists in Syria for bombings

Adam Ashton and Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 25, 2009 05:36 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraq Tuesday demanded that Syria hand over two high-ranking Iraqi Baath Party officials following last week's bombing of two government ministries. Iraq later recalled its ambassador to Damascus for consultations, and Syria followed suit, withdrawing its envoy from Baghdad.

The bombings, executed with thousands of pounds of nitrate fertilizer carried on trucks, killed at least 95 people and wounded more than 1,200 near the Foreign and Finance Ministry buildings last Wednesday.

Iraq's Council of Ministers called for an international investigation of what it characterized as "war crimes."

Even as tensions heated up between the two neighboring Arab states, it wasn't clear whether top officials of Iraq's ruling party under deposed dictator Saddam Hussein were in fact responsible for the assaults on the ministries.

SIGN UP

The Islamic state of Iraq, an al Qaida-linked organization also claimed responsibility for the Aug. 19 attacks.

"By the favor of God, the sons of Islamic State started a new raid in the heart of wounded Baghdad to destroy the center of infidelity, and the efforts of the infidel Safawi (Iranian) government," the statement said on www.hanein.info, an Islamic chat room.

Later Tuesday, someone from the group disavowed the declaration on the same site.

Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has alleged that Baath Party loyalists are working with radical Sunni groups, such as al Qaida in Iraq, to destabilize his government.

Iraq on Sunday aired a confession of a man described as former police chief who was arrested on suspicion of masterminding the bombings. Wissam Ali Kadhim Ibrahim, the suspect, said in the confession that he had taken direction from Baath officials in Syria and paid $10,000 to bribe officers at checkpoints.

Iraq wants Syria to extradite Baathists known as Mohammad Younis al Ahmed and Sattam Farhan.

"Iraq has information that there are some parties involved in the terrorist activities, and Iraq has the right and the duty to ask for those people," said Sadiq al Rikabi, a close political adviser to Maliki. "I think it's the Iraqi right that our neighbors and friends cooperate to stop the bloodshed in Iraq."

Syrian government officials condemned the attacks on Iraqi television stations. By coincidence, Maliki had been visiting Damascus the day before the attacks to discuss security and economic issues.

The Baath Party has been banned in Iraq since the American military toppled Saddam Hussein's government in 2003. It's still at the heart of Syria's political establishment, however, and some Baathists are thought to have moved there since Saddam's fall.

Although the attacks were carried out by suicide bombers — hallmarks of al Qaida attacks, Rikabi cast doubt on the al Qaida claim that it orchestrated the attacks. He said if the terrorist group was involved in the attacks, it was acting as a hired gun.

"The Iraqi government is working from facts and data and an investigation . . ." Rikabi said.

Iraq has arrested 11 of its own police and military officers to review whether they were negligent in the blasts. It also has arrested a group of alleged Baath-party members on suspicion of planning the attacks.

Some Iraqis are skeptical about Ibrahim's confession and the government's assurances that it will hold accountable the people who executed the bombings. The officer looked calm in the confession that appeared on Iraqi state TV.

"There is no credibility," Nabil Mohammed Saleem, a professor at Baghdad University. "The increasing of statements of this kind and the absence of real evidence, coupled with investigations that look fake, destroyed the credibility of the security forces."

Iraq's Council of Ministers Tuesday also set aside about $3 million to rebuild neighborhoods that were destroyed in the attacks.

(Ashton reports for the Modesto Bee. Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

With Maliki's party out, Iraq's Shiite coalition splits

Hair salons once again the fashion for women in Iraq

Bombing of Iraqi ministry hit nearby residents hard

Baghdad bombings question: Did U.S. draw back too fast?

A McClatchy reporter reflects on what war brought to Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story