McClatchy DC Logo

Pakistan begins to send Swat refugees home | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pakistan begins to send Swat refugees home

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 13, 2009 05:42 PM

SHERGHAR, Pakistan — The Pakistani army on Monday began allowing people who'd fled its 11-week offensive against Taliban extremists in the Swat Valley to return to their homes, but the numbers who went were far fewer than expected amid fears the Taliban really hadn't been vanquished.

"They (the army), have cleared the roads but the Taliban are in the mountains," said Mohammad Shakirullah, a 37-year-old businessman as he waited to board a government-provided bus at the huge Jalozai refugee camp, in Nowshera, where he spent the past two months. "I will go of course, as it is my home, but I'm pretty sure that I will have to come out again."

More than 2 million people fled the army's offensive, one of the largest sudden movements of humanity in recent years. Just 647 families — around 4,500 people — returned on to their homes on Monday. The army had hoped that 3,000 families would go back on Monday.

Even that number created a dramatic scene. Buses, trucks, vans and cars bursting with possessions and people formed a half-mile long line at an army checkpoint, where they waited all day in sweltering temperatures before getting the go-ahead to drive. Security was tight. Military helicopters flew overhead, and many of the vehicles flew white flags.

SIGN UP

"I hope that we can restore Swat to the way it was, when it was known as the Switzerland of Pakistan," said Fazl Raheem, a 40-year-old who was waiting at Sherghar with 12 accompanying family members. "I had a business in Swat before I was turned into a beggar (by the evacuation). But I am glad that the army took action."

Swat is a mountainous area with cool temperatures, and was once famous for its fruit orchards and gushing streams before a Taliban takeover about two years ago. Since the Pakistan army launched its offensive, Swat's refugees have endured grim conditions, living in vast, sun-baked tent cities or crammed into the homes of relatives and friends. The weeks living in squalid conditions showed on the faces and filthy clothes of the returnees.

"It is better to die there (in Swat) than live in the conditions in the camps. The children just keep getting ill in this heat," said Fazl Elahi, a 57-year-old teacher who had 18 relatives with him. "At least we'll have back our fields and houses."

Many at the Jalozai camp said, however, that they hadn't signed up to return out of concern for their security or because they had yet to receive the 25,000 rupees ($300) official compensation due to each family. Some said that they felt compelled to go as the government was providing free transport and they couldn't afford to go on their own, while several elderly people were confused about whether they had been asked or told to return.

Despite the government's claim that Swat has been cleared of the Taliban, the army continues to report skirmishes and detentions, and some aid agencies said the refugees are being sent home too soon.

"The Pakistani government is sending people home far too early," said Kristele Younes, a senior advocate for Refugees International, a group based in Washington. "Displaced people should be the ones to determine whether it is safe for them to return, and we fear the government is not providing them with clear and accurate information."

Privately, officials at the United Nations also expressed unease about the return to Swat. The U.N. hasn't had access to the valley to determine the conditions there.

One reason for the rush is that the annual monsoon season is approaching, which may make the camps unlivable, and the refugees also are occupying 4,000 schools that need to be emptied for the school year to start after the summer break.

The pace of the return is expected to escalate sharply later this week, especially when the authorities open the way to Mingora, Swat's main city.

The entire process of return will take around five weeks, said Lt. Gen. Nadeem Ahmed, who's in charge of the Pakistani army's special unit to help the displaced. However, the majority are expected to go back within the next two weeks.

"When things start, there's always tension and fear. But the response has been good," Ahmed said. "We need to remember that this is a voluntary return."

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Pakistan scaling back its plans for Waziristan offensive

House measure hurts Obama plan to boost jobs in Pakistan

Pakistan desperately needs money to resettle Swat residents

Follow politics at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Pakistanis return to the Swat Valley

July 13, 2009 06:47 PM

politics-government

Pakistan in a time of war

May 14, 2009 07:09 PM

world

Pakistan scaling back its plans for Waziristan offensive

July 10, 2009 04:22 PM

national-security

U.S. drones back up Pakistani military's domestic struggle

July 08, 2009 06:33 PM

world

Pakistan desperately needs money to resettle Swat residents

July 02, 2009 06:38 PM

world

Pakistan now facing 2-front war in Waziristan

June 30, 2009 07:59 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Businesses linked to McCaskill’s husband get $131 million in federal dollars

July 24, 2018 05:00 AM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Joel Pett’s 2018 editorial cartoons

December 30, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story