McClatchy DC Logo

Afghans blame U.S.-led coalition for police chief's killing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Afghans blame U.S.-led coalition for police chief's killing

Nancy A. Youssef and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 29, 2009 08:22 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — The Afghan government Monday blamed U.S.-led coalition forces for the killing of Kandahar's police chief and criminal investigations director on coalition forces, saying the Afghan guards that shot them to death were working for and trained by the coalition.

U.S. officials in Washington, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because classified matters are involved, told McClatchy that American intelligence agencies are investigating whether some of the guards may have been among the Afghans whom the CIA has recruited, trained and paid to help fight the Taliban, al Qaida and drug trafficking.

Coalition officials in Afghanistan said only that no U.S. or coalition forces were involved in the killings, that the guards weren't acting "on behalf of U.S. or international forces" and that the killings in Kandahar, Afghanistan's second-largest city and the heart of its opium poppy-growing region, were an "Afghan-on-Afghan" incident.

"These men acted on their own," said Navy Chief Petty Officer Brian Naranjo, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kabul.

SIGN UP

"I have nothing to add to the other statements made on this incident," said CIA spokesman George Little.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack, and his younger brother Ahmed Wali Karzai, the head of the Kandahar provincial council, and other officials in Kandahar charged that the guards worked for a private security company that had been hired by coalition forces, but offered no specifics.

Monday's incident highlighted the challenge that the U.S. and its allies face when Afghan security forces they're working with or training have their own agendas. The attack also made it clear that when that happens, Afghan officials will hold the coalition responsible, further upsetting the uncertain relationship between the Afghan government and its international allies.

The incident also raises questions about how much the coalition can rely on local forces, some of which have long histories of corruption and abuse, to quell the rising violence in Afghanistan's most important province and the nation's major Taliban stronghold, the crux of its security plan here.

The shooting began sometime after 11 a.m., when about a dozen vehicles carrying some 40 Afghan guards pulled up to the prosecutor's office. The guards, whom Kandahar officials charge work with American Special Forces on counter terrorism raids, accosted the prosecutor, threatened him and demanded the release of a fellow guard named Assadullah, who'd been detained for producing counterfeit vehicle documents and plates, said Toryali Weesa, the province's governor.

The prosecutor refused and called the provincial police chief, Matiullah Qati, who arrived with four police officers who serve as his guards and Abdul Khaliq, the province's criminal investigations director.

A dispute arose, and the guards began shooting at Qati and Khaliq, according to Ahmed Wali Karzai. The shooting lasted for about 10 minutes, Karzai said, and left Qazi, his four police guards and Khaliq dead. Another six officers were injured. It was unclear whether any of the guards were killed.

Local police arrested at least 41 guards afterward, Weesa said. The governor promised an investigation.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

In Afghanistan, crackdown hurts Iran's once-sterling image

Afghan drug trade thrives with help, and neglect, of officials

Karzai's brother threatened McClatchy writer reporting Afghan drug story

West looked the other way as Afghan drug trade exploded

U.S.-built bridge is windfall — for illegal Afghan drug trade

Agents say DEA is forcing them illegally to work in Afghanistan

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's Nukes & Spooks blog

January 15, 2009 09:27 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM

Jerry Moran to push for speedy final vote on ending U.S. role in Yemen

December 11, 2018 01:21 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story