Round-up of Daily Violence in Iraq - Friday 19 June 2009

The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.


A roadside bomb targeted a U.S. military convoy in Saidiyah neighbourhood, southeastern Baghdad. The U.S. Military cordoned the area and no casualties were reported.


A roadside bomb targeted a store that sells alcoholic beverages in Dawasa neighbourhood in central Mosul, Friday afternoon, injuring two civilians and causing damages to the store.

Gunmen assassinated Izzat Abdullah, trainer of the Iraqi Karate team Friday afternoon. They shot him several times in the chest.

Gunmen in a speeding car opened fire and killed a civilian in al Sukkar neighbourhood in eastern Mosul early Friday.

Gunmen opened fire upon an Iraqi army patrol in al Karama industrial area, eastern Mosul Thursday evening, killing one soldier and one civilian.


A roadside bomb targeted Ahmed Zarkush, District Commissioner of al Sadiyah district, 100 km to the northeast of Baquba Sunday Morning. The explosion injured Zarkush and five of his security detail, three of whom are in a critical condition.


Two civilians were injured, Friday, during armed confrontations between the police and a gunman who is suspected by the police to be a member of al Qaida. The fire fight took place in al Bazzara neighbourhood in the old part of Fallujah. The gunman got away.

A house containing a large amount of ammunition exploded in Julan neighbourhood, northern Fallujah. It is not clear, however, whether it blew up by accident or otherwise. The investigation is ongoing.

The son of Zeki Obaid, former member of the provincial council was targeted by a magnetic bomb stuck to his car, Friday. He sustained serious injuries, but escaped with his life. His father was targeted the same way last year, survived, and fled to Jordan.