McClatchy DC Logo

Iran human rights group puts Sunday-Monday toll at 32 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iran human rights group puts Sunday-Monday toll at 32

Human Rights Activists in Iran

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 17, 2009 03:07 PM

NIACINsight, the blog of the National American Iranian Council, included this translation from The Association of Human Rights Activists in Iran:

The Association of Human Rights Activists in Iran can confirm thedeaths of 32 Iranian citizens connected to the events of June 14 andJune 15, based on its own fieldwork and despite numerous other reports.

Most of these citizens lost their lives in the attack on TehranUniversity dormitories on June 14 and the opening of fire by theparamilitary Basij forces on June 15. The violence started afterIranian citizens protested against the results of the tenthpresidential elections, and the interference of security andparamilitary forces connected to the government.

In a statement, the public relations office of The Office toConsolidate Unity [Iran’s biggest student organization] yesterdayreported the killing of at least seven students during the attack ondormitories of Tehran University and other universities around thecountry (Amnesty International said on June 15 there had been fivedeaths).

SIGN UP

According to numerous and confirmed reports, the morgue at the RasulAkram Hospital in Tehran has also stored eight people, who lost theirlives during the shooting at defenseless people on Monday June 15.

In addition, Azerbaijani human rights activists have reported thekilling of two citizens of Orumiyeh during fights in that city onJune 15.

Finally, sources among the doctors at Erfan Hospital (which containsICU, CCU, NICU and 14 emergency operation rooms) in Western Tehranreported that 15 people were dead in the hospital, all connected tothe shooting on June 15.

Reports of civilian deaths across the country received by theAssociation are very high. However, it is impossible to confirm thesebecause of the highly militarized atmosphere and widespread arrests,so the Association can only vouch for the deaths detailed above butwill continue the process of documentation and reporting.

You can follow NIAC's blog here.

Here's the statement in Farsi.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM

Jerry Moran to push for speedy final vote on ending U.S. role in Yemen

December 11, 2018 01:21 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story