McClatchy DC Logo

Pakistan frees head of militant group accused of Mumbai attack | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pakistan frees head of militant group accused of Mumbai attack

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 02, 2009 05:25 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — A Pakistani court on Tuesday freed the leader of an Islamic militant group that's been blamed for the devastating terrorist assault last year on Mumbai, India, a move that's likely to damage the prospects of peace between nuclear-armed India and Pakistan.

The court decided to release Hafiz Saeed, the head of Jamaat-ud-Dawa, from the house arrest that he'd been under since the attack in November 2008. Tensions between India and Pakistan have hampered the fight against Taliban extremists in western Pakistan and Afghanistan while Islamabad focused instead on its eastern border with India.

The United Nations banned Saeed's group in the wake of the terrorist strike, in which 166 people died. Jamaat-ud-Dawa, regarded as a cover for the previously outlawed Lashkar-e-Taiba extremist outfit, is thought to be linked to al Qaida.

The court ruled that Tuesday there weren't "sufficient grounds" for keeping Saeed in detention. The basis of his confinement, under a law allowing preventative detention, was always murky, and part of the hearing was behind closed doors. The government's lawyer reportedly presented evidence for Lashkar-e-Taiba's ties to al Qaida during the secret part of the case.

SIGN UP

Delivering its ruling, the High Court of the eastern city of Lahore, the top court in Saeed's home province of Punjab, said that the U.N. ban on Jamaat-ud-Dawa didn't require the detention of its leader.

"The major (government) argument was pro-American, pro-U.N. and anti-Pakistan," said A.K. Dogar, Saeed's lawyer. "This is a free country, (but) day in, day out, the Americans are ordering us about."

The court's decision will dent Pakistan's image as an anti-terrorism ally, which was boosted recently by its decisive battles with Taliban guerrillas in the Swat valley, in the northwest of the country.

The government is likely to appeal the verdict.

"We don't know if there was no evidence or the government wouldn't put forward the evidence," said Hasan Askari Rizvi, a political analyst based in Lahore. Noting that Lashkar-e-Taiba was closely linked with the Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence, Pakistan's premier spy agency, he added: "If they bring all the evidence, ISI gets exposed. If they go back to the earlier years, the Pakistani state gets exposed."

Saeed founded Lashkar-e-Taiba in the late 1980s, with the ISI's backing, to fight India in the Kashmir region, which is disputed land between the countries. Pakistan now claims to have stopped backing fighters in Kashmir. After Lashkar-e-Taiba was banned in 2002, Jamaat-ud-Dawa emerged as its new identity.

"We are unhappy that Pakistan does not show the degree of seriousness and commitment that it should to bring to justice the perpetrators of the crime," India's home minister, Palaniappan Chidambaram, said in New Delhi.

Although India has blamed Lashkar-e-Taiba for the Mumbai assault, the dossier of evidence it handed to Pakistan provided no direct link between the attack and Saeed. He's denied any involvement.

Separately, Pakistan is prosecuting five less senior members of Lashkar-e-Taiba for their alleged role in the Mumbai carnage in an anti-terrorism court, but the proceedings are secret.

A spokesman for Pakistan's Foreign Ministry, Abdul Basit, said: "Polemics and unfounded insinuations cannot advance the cause of justice in civilized societies. Legal processes cannot and must not be interfered with."

India broke off a four-year process of peace talks after the Mumbai attack. It had been hoped that, after the results of elections last month in India, moves might begin toward resuming dialogue.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Pakistan plan to attack Taliban haven promises wider war

Pakistan militants bomb police complex in Lahore; 30 dead

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

Pakistan says decisive battle against the Taliban has begun

On war zone tour, Pakistani army claims that 'collateral damage' is minimal

Are Taliban abandoning guerrilla tactics in Pakistan conflict?

Pakistani army fails to rescue civilian allies in Swat

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Dozens of Pakistani schoolboys reportedly still held hostage

June 02, 2009 02:25 PM

world

Pakistanis want to know if army has beaten Taliban this time

June 01, 2009 06:59 PM

white-house

Pakistan plan to attack Taliban haven promises wider war

May 31, 2009 04:09 PM

world

Pakistan extremists attack again, threaten wider war

May 28, 2009 10:50 AM

politics-government

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

May 27, 2009 06:55 PM

national-security

Photos are fresh evidence of growing Pakistani nuclear program

May 20, 2009 08:14 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Assad hands control of Syria’s Kurdish areas to PKK, sparking outrage in Turkey

July 26, 2012 12:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story