McClatchy DC Logo

Iraqi government claims U.S. raid violated agreement | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iraqi government claims U.S. raid violated agreement

Corinne Reilly and Hussein Kadhim - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 26, 2009 04:48 PM

BAGHDAD — An early morning U.S. raid that left two Iraqis dead was launched without Iraq's permission, a serious violation of the rules that are supposed to govern American military conduct here, the Iraqi government said Sunday.

Six Iraqis were arrested in the raid, which was carried out before dawn Sunday by a U.S. Army unit in the Iraqi city of Kut, southeast of Baghdad. Two other Iraqis, a man and his sister-in-law, were shot and killed.

The U.S. military confirmed the raid but said in a written statement that the operation was "fully coordinated and approved by the Iraqi government."

The six people who were arrested and the man who was killed are suspected terrorists, the American statement said. The woman who died was shot accidentally, the military added.

SIGN UP

The Iraqi complaint threatens to add to the strains between the Shiite Muslim-led government of Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki and the U.S. Amid a recent spike in suicide bombings, U.S. officials complain that Maliki isn't doing enough to reconcile with Iraq's Sunnis, whom many blame for the upsurge in violence.

Under an agreement signed last year between Washington and Baghdad, U.S. forces aren't permitted to conduct combat operations without first coordinating with Iraqi security forces, and Iraqi government officials maintain that the Sunday raid was launched without its permission.

"There was no approval given," said Col. Shawqat al Alusi, an Iraqi army spokesman. He said that a U.S. military commander had apologized to Iraqi authorities for failing to obtain their permission.

The U.S. commander told Iraqi officials he thought the unit that conducted the raid had received approval and that a misunderstanding was to blame, Alusi said.

Speaking by phone from Kut, Alusi added that the six who were arrested already have been released. Maliki has ordered an investigation into the matter, he said.

Alusi couldn't provide the name of the American commander who he said apologized. A U.S. military spokesman said in an e-mail that he couldn't comment on Alusi's statements or confirm that the men who were arrested have been released.

Several hundred Iraqis gathered Sunday in downtown Kut to protest the killings, said Jawad Kadhim, an official with the city's local police force. He added that a police captain was among those arrested by the Americans.

The U.S. military said in its written statement that the raid was meant to capture a terrorist network financier who helped smuggle weapons into Iraq for the Mahdi Army, a Shiite Muslim militia.

As U.S. troops approached the house they intended to search, a man with a weapon emerged, the military's statement said. "Forces assessed him to be hostile, and they engaged the man, killing him," the statement said.

It said the woman who died was killed accidentally after she "moved into the line of fire and was struck by gunfire." A U.S. medic attempted to treat her at the scene but she couldn't be saved, the military added.

Omar Hassan, a nephew of the man who was killed, identified his uncle as Khalid Abdul Munim. He said his family has no connection to the Mahdi Army or any extremist groups.

Hassan said the raid took place at 2 a.m., and that after his uncle was shot, another family member called a relative who belonged to the local police force. Several members of the Kut police quickly arrived at the scene, and the Americans then arrested at least one of them, Hassan said.

The U.S.-Iraqi security agreement that Iraq claims the U.S. violated calls for Americans to leave Iraqi cities by the end of June. It mandates a full withdrawal of U.S. combat troops by the end of 2011, though President Barack Obama has promised that most American troops will be out of Iraq by the end of next summer.

Reilly reports for the Merced Sun-Star. Hussein is a McClatchy special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Hillary Clinton pays surprise visit to Baghdad

Attacks in Iraq kill dozens; fears mount of wider violence

Report: Abusive tactics used to seek Iraq-al Qaida link

Gates says 'last gasp' remark on al Qaida in Iraq was mistake

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

March 03, 2009 01:20 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story