McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. military to halt 'stop loss' service extensions for troops | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. military to halt 'stop loss' service extensions for troops

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 18, 2009 07:24 PM

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced on Wednesday that the Army is effectively halting "stop loss," the practice of ordering soldiers to stay in the military service beyond their obligation, saying the practice was "breaking faith" with the troops.

The Army Reserve will suspend the practice in August; the Army National Guard will follow suit in September and the Army in January. Troops who were forced to stay beyond their obligation after October 2008 will receive an additional $500 monthly salary, Gates said.

More than 13,000 soldiers are serving under the stop-loss program, up from 7,000 when Gates took his post in December 2006.

"I felt particularly in these numbers that it was breaking faith," Gates said. "To hold them against their will is just not the right thing to do," he told Pentagon reporters.

SIGN UP

Many were forced to remain in uniform during the U.S. troop surge into Iraq in 2007, when the military sent an additional 30,000 troops to Iraq. In addition to using the stop loss, the military extended Army tours in Iraq from 12 months to 15 months.

Besides ensuring that there were enough forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, stop loss helped keep units more cohesive, the military argued.

Stop loss now can be dropped in part because the U.S. signed a status of forces agreement with Iraq late last year that calls for a U.S. withdrawal by the end of 2011. Gates also said that the Army would expand to 537,000 soldiers sooner than anticipated, reducing the need for stop loss.

Gates said there'd always have to be exceptions, but he said that he hoped "scores" instead of thousands would be forced to stay beyond their obligations, namely those with special skills.

The secretary also announced that he expected the Defense Department to determine how to allow family members to view fallen soldiers returning to Dover Air Base, and if the families allow, to invite the news media to photograph their return.

Gates spoke on the eve of the sixth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war. There are 138,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and 39,000 in Afghanistan.

Gates also announced that he'd recommended to President Barack Obama that he renew the terms of Adm. Michael Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Marine Gen. James Cartwright, the vice chief of staff of the Army. Their two-year terms expire on Sept. 30.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Is the Iraq war over? Iraqis, Americans see it differently

Fears grow Iraq violence will doom Obama's Afghan plan

Obama orders as many as 17,500 troops to Afghanistan

Marine commander: 'Time is right' for Marines to leave Iraq

U.S. Marines find Iraq tactics don't work in Afghanistan

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

White House caves on veterans plan, but what was it thinking?

March 18, 2009 05:37 PM

world

Is the Iraq war over? Iraqis, Americans see it differently

March 18, 2009 06:03 PM

world

Baghdad's water still undrinkable 6 years after invasion

March 18, 2009 04:38 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story