McClatchy DC Logo

Afghan commission rejects Karzai, sets election for August | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Afghan commission rejects Karzai, sets election for August

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 04, 2009 04:36 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission Wednesday confirmed that the country's second democratic election would be held on Aug. 20, rejecting President Hamid Karzai's call for the vote to be moved up by at least four months.

The decision, however, failed to resolve the question of Karzai's status during the period between May 22, when his five-year term ends under the Constitution, and the election.

The issue will be the subject of intense bargaining between Karzai and his political opponents, who're likely to demand that he be replaced by an interim president or guarantee that he won't use his office to bolster his re-election campaign.

Analysts said that Karzai could try to extend his term by two months by asking the Afghan parliament to approve a state of emergency, but doing so could worsen the political crisis.

SIGN UP

The wrangling comes amid a worsening Taliban insurgency, which last year reached its bloodiest level since the 2001 U.S. intervention that drove the puritanical Islamist group from power.

A suicide bomber killed himself Wednesday when he detonated a car full of explosives on the perimeter of the main U.S. military base at Bagram, north of Kabul. A base spokesman said the blast injured three U.S. civilian contractors.

The election commission's decision to retain Aug. 20 as the date for the presidential contest came four days after Karzai directed the panel to observe provisions in the Afghan Constitution requiring that the vote be held 60 to 30 days before his term expires on May 22.

Commission Chairman Azizullah Lodin said it was "impossible" to hold the vote that early because time was needed to allow U.S.-led troops and Afghan security forces to prepare for the contest.

Some 17,000 additional American troops are scheduled to begin arriving this spring to bolster the U.S.-led international force of more than 70,000 soldiers now in the country.

Lodin also said that spring snows in the mountains would prevent some voters from reaching polling stations, and international contributions to the $223 million cost of the election have yet to be received.

"We want the kind of election that is transparent, clear and with justice and in which people are able to participate freely," he told McClatchy in a telephone interview. "We appreciate that Karzai is respecting the Constitution. The problems our commission has have not been resolved yet."

Lodin said he presented his decision earlier in the day at the fortress-like presidential palace to a meeting attended by Karzai, parliamentary leaders and senior politicians.

A palace spokesman declined to comment on Karzai's reaction to the decision.

NATO's U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force, the United Nations and the State Department welcomed the Election Commission's decision confirming the Aug. 20 election date.

"This date will provide the time needed for the IEC with the support of the international community to make practical and logistical preparations, for candidates to campaign, and for Afghan and international forces to provide security," said special U.N. envoy Kai Eide in a statement.

Karzai issued his decree to move up the election in an apparent effort to force the main opposition party, the National Front, to drop its criticism of the Aug. 20 date, which it complained would allow the president to remain in office illegally for three months.

His order angered the front because it hasn't chosen its presidential candidate or prepared its campaign plan.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Militants' sudden unity threatens Obama's Afghanistan strategy

Karzai moves up election date, challenging opposition

In Afghanistan, U.S. mounts offensive in Taliban haven

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

A U.S. patrol finds anger and distrust in Afghanistan

February 19, 2009 03:55 PM

world

In Afghanistan, U.S. mounts offensive in Taliban haven

February 25, 2009 03:15 PM

world

Karzai moves up election date, challenging opposition

February 28, 2009 01:55 PM

world

U.S. Marines find Iraq tactics don't work in Afghanistan

January 11, 2009 05:04 PM

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's Nukes & Spooks blog

January 15, 2009 09:27 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story