McClatchy DC Logo

Karzai moves up election date, challenging opposition | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Karzai moves up election date, challenging opposition

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 28, 2009 01:55 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan President Hamid Karzai stepped up a confrontation with his opposition Saturday, ordering this year's presidential election to be moved up by at least three months despite the top election official's concerns that insufficient preparation time, funds and international forces could render the results illegitimate.

Karzai's decree may also intensify tensions with the United States, which backed an Independent Election Commission decision scheduling the vote for Aug. 20 so that an additional 17,000 U.S. troops could be deployed to bolster security.

Some 60,000 troops from the United States and 40 other countries are currently helping Afghan security forces battle the al Qaida-backed Taliban insurgency, and getting reinforcements in place within the next three months presents Washington and its NATO allies a huge challenge.

A vote that is not seen as free and fair could deal a serious blow to the Obama administration's emerging strategy for blunting the insurgency, which relies in part upon rebuilding sagging popular trust in a political system plagued by corruption and incompetence.

SIGN UP

"There are concerns about the legitimacy of this vote," said a Western official, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The election would be the second democratic presidential contest held since the 2001 U.S. intervention that toppled the Taliban regime.

Karzai said in his decree that the election commission should hold the contest according to the Afghan constitution, which requires that the vote be set within 30 to 60 days of the end of his five-year term on May 21.

The decree did not cite a specific date.

The election commission should "make essential arrangements to ensure the conduct of a transparent, fair, free, general, secret and direct ballot election", Karzai said.

The commission last month announced the Aug. 20 date. It said time was needed to allow deployment of the additional U.S. troops and complete the complicated logistical preparations, which include delivering balloting materials to remote areas now blocked by snow.

But the main opposition party, the National Front, objected, contending that the commission's decision would allow Karzai to remain in office illegally for four months. It demanded that the date be moved up or that Karzai resign in favor of an interim government.

Hakim Asher, a spokesman for the president, said that Saturday's announcement "showed that the president clearly respected the constitution."

The decree, however, essentially called the National Front's bluff because the party has not yet selected its presidential nominee, nor has it had time to organize its campaign.

Moreover, Karzai, who has made it clear that he intends to seek re-election, would have the advantages of incumbency, like his security detail and helicopters, to advance his campaign.

"This is a line in the sand," said the Western official of Karzai's order.

Karzai's decree "puts the opposition in a difficult position," conceded Abdul Sattar Murad, a senior National Front leader who has been involved in screening potential presidential candidates.

Karzai's announcement, issued after consultations with election officials, parliamentarians, religious leaders and legal experts, came despite a warning by the head of the election commission, Azizullah Lodin, that a contest held earlier than Aug. 20 might be considered illegitimate.

Lodin told McClatchy on Friday that he cautioned Karzai at a meeting on Tuesday that security would be inadequate to prevent disruptions by the Taliban and that the commission has not yet received the $224 million required to fund the election from the international community.

He said he also told Karzai that lingering snow would prevent some voters from reaching polling stations.

"I think the legitimacy of the election would be in question in a normal situation," he said.

More from McClatchy:

Obama's biggest foreign policy challenge? It's Pakistan

Pakistani government makes deal with Islamic militants

Pakistani Taliban turn honeymoon spot into slaughterhouse

Pakistan ends house arrest of 'father' of nuclear bomb

Pakistan admits Mumbai bombing planned on its soil

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story