McClatchy DC Logo

Drama in Guantanamo: Will Obama halt war court sessions? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Drama in Guantanamo: Will Obama halt war court sessions?

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 17, 2009 06:43 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- In a surprise move Friday, reflecting uncertainty in the future of President Bush's war court, the Pentagon prosecutor sought -- and lost -- a late-night bid to delay next week's terror hearings that straddle the inauguration of Barack Obama.

''Both motions were denied. It's full-speed ahead,'' said Air Force Lt. Col. Ann Knabe, spokeswoman for military commissions.

Had the judges granted the request, the Defense Department would have had to ground a special flight of war crimes court staff, including lawyers, judges and clerks, plus dozens of reporters and victims of the Sept. 11, attacks that was slated to arrive here Saturday.

''The government cannot represent with confidence that there will not be an interruption in all commission proceedings,'' Army Col. Lawrence Morris wrote Judge Stephen Henley, an Army colonel presiding in the war crimes prosecution of five men accused of conspiring in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

SIGN UP

Morris also said in his 9 p.m submission, obtained by The Miami Herald, that the government had ''certain discovery issues'' as well as unavailable witnesses that would likely delay a full hearing on whether 9/11 accused Ramzi bin al Shibh was mentally competent to stand trial.

Henley swiftly rejected the request, and the hearing was still on as of late Friday for Monday, Martin Luther King Day, in the maximum security courtroom at a crude compound here called Camp Justice.

The Army prosecutor had likewise sought -- and was denied -- a delay from Judge Patrick Parrish, an Army colonel, in thepre-trial hearings starting Monday for Canadian captive Omar Khadr, captured at 15 and accused of the July 2002 grenade killing of a U.S. soldier. Khadr's trial is scheduled for Jan. 26.

One issue is whether, and when, the new Obama administration might suspend the special post 9/11 war court proceedings. During his campaign, the president-elect pledged to empty the prison camps here of the last 250 foreign captives.

The Chief Defense Counsel, Air Force Col. Peter Masciola, had earlier Friday sought dismissal of all charges against all 21 war crimes defendants -- six of whom face military execution, if convicted.

Masciola cited both the looming change of administration, and likelihood that the Obama White House would revise the controversial military commissions as well as a series of pending motions by war court accused that they had been tortured in U.S. custody.

He also noted that the hearing was scheduled to take place on Martin Luther King Day and said dismissal of charges was ``the legally and morally correct course.''

''The perception of pervasive torture now saddles the incoming Administration and its efforts to set these proceedings on a just course,'' Masciola wrote a former military appeals judge, Susan J. Crawford, known as the Convening Authority for Military Commissions.

Knabe said Crawford was considering the defense counsel's letter.

A day earlier, attorney general nominee Eric Holder told a Senate confirmation hearing that the Obama administration would review war court prosecutions in search of a new approach.

Obama prefers traditional criminal trials and courts martial, and Holder said that, were the new government to use commissions, they would have to be ``substantially revamped to provide the due process rights that I think are consistent with who we are as Americans.''

Morris had different reasons for seeking delay, not dismissal.

''The Prosecution believes that the interests of justice would be served by taking this action and that they outweigh the best interests of both the public and the accused in a hearing commencing on 19 January,'' he wrote.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo: Beyond the Law

December 11, 2008 03:55 PM

world

Obama appointee: civilian trials likely for terrorism suspects

January 16, 2009 07:18 PM

world

Rights groups alarmed over Obama's pace on Gitmo

January 12, 2009 08:51 PM

world

Obama to sign order next week to close Guantanamo prison

January 12, 2009 08:09 PM

world

10 percent of Guantanamo detainees now being force fed

January 08, 2009 02:20 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story