McClatchy DC Logo

40 feared dead in Israeli strike on Gaza school | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

40 feared dead in Israeli strike on Gaza school

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 06, 2009 12:00 AM

JERUSALEM — In the deadliest attack of its intensifying war in the Gaza Strip, the Israeli military struck a United Nations-run school Tuesday where hundreds of Palestinians had sought refuge from the fighting. As many as 40 people were killed, many of them children, and 55 were wounded, U.N. officials said.

Israel moved quickly to explain the attack, saying that its forces had been fired on first. Military officials said that fighters from the militant Islamic group Hamas had lobbed mortar rounds at Israeli forces from the school, in the Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza, and Israeli forces returned fire outside the school moments later.

Two members of a Hamas mortar crew were among the dead, Israeli officials said.

However, John Ging, the top U.N. refugee official in Gaza, said that U.N. staff and Palestinian families in the school compound had been screened for weapons, and he disputed Israel's claim that mortars were fired from inside.

SIGN UP

"As far as we are concerned that is not true, but if Israel has evidence of that they need to provide it to an independent inquiry," Ging said.

It was impossible to reconcile the conflicting accounts because Israel has prevented reporters from entering Gaza since its 11-day-old offensive against Hamas started, despite a court order directing the military to do so. The few television images from Jabaliya showed chaos and confusion, with some Palestinians wailing in grief and one apparently injured child, wearing striped socks, being rushed from the scene. It was impossible to get firsthand accounts

Israeli officials blamed Hamas, saying that militants have used civilians as shields and infiltrated U.N. schools in the past, an assertion that U.N. officials didn't dispute. Although Israel said its return fire landed outside the school, witnesses described a series of explosions, which Israeli officials said suggested that militants had rigged the building with explosives.

"We face a very delicate situation where the Hamas is using the citizens of Gaza as a protective vest," military spokesman Brig. Gen. Avi Benayahu said.

The Jabaliya strike pushed the Palestinian death toll in the war to more than 600, with nearly 3,000 wounded, U.N. officials said.

Less than 24 hours earlier, three men were killed in an Israeli strike on a U.N. school in Gaza City where more than 400 Palestinians had gone to seek shelter.

The incidents renewed questions about Israel's ability to wage a precision war in densely populated Gaza even as its forces pushed deeper into the narrow coastal territory.

Israeli news media reported that ground forces were edging closer to the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis and continued to surround Gaza City, where they were coming under some of the toughest resistance they'd faced, including militants equipped with antitank rockets. Four Israeli soldiers were killed in two separate "friendly fire" incidents Monday, bringing to six the number of Israeli military fatalities in the conflict.

The onslaught hasn't stopped militants in Gaza from firing rockets into Israel, which Israeli leaders have cast as the main reason for the invasion.

Israeli police said that 35 more rockets landed in Israel on Tuesday, including in the town of Gedera, about 25 miles from the Gaza border and 20 miles from the Israeli city of Tel Aviv. It was the northernmost point that a rocket had landed since the war began, and Israeli media reported that a 3-month-old infant was lightly wounded.

On the Gaza side of the border, humanitarian groups are warning of a worsening situation, with ambulances unable to reach sick and wounded people due to the ongoing fighting.

In one case, the bodies of 31 members of a family in southern Gaza City who were killed Saturday in a series of Israeli attacks have been trapped under the rubble of their home, according to B'Tselem, a leading Israeli human-rights group. On Tuesday in the same neighborhood, at least 13 members of another family were killed when an Israeli airstrike flattened their building, the group said.

Israel has said repeatedly that Hamas uses Gaza's civilian population as shields, and it's dropped fliers throughout the territory urging residents to leave. With fewer and fewer safe places to flee to, however, hundreds of Palestinian families have sought shelter in U.N.-run schools.

"I left my chickens," said 67-year-old Fakiha Sultan, who escaped days of bombardment outside her home in the Beit Lahiya neighborhood to take refuge in a U.N.-run school in Gaza City. "I left my goats without food. I left the dog tied up."

U.N. officials are struggling to provide the escapees with food, blankets and shelter. Fifty refugees are crowded into 30-person classrooms.

"There are no blankets or mattresses," Sultan said. "We asked some friends for blankets for the kids. We sit all night in the chairs."

U.N. officials said that they'd shared with Israeli forces the exact locations and global-positioning coordinates of their installations in Gaza, including the schools.

"This is a very densely populated urban area, and there is no way you can conduct military operations of this scale and scope without large numbers of civilian casualties," Ging said.

Israel said it had killed 130 Hamas militants since the start of the campaign, and on Tuesday it attacked the Jabaliya home of Iman Siam, a senior operative and the head of the group's rocket-launching unit. A military official said Siam was thought to be home at the time, although it wasn't clear whether he had been hit.

(McClatchy special correspondent Ahmed Abu Hamda contributed to this article from Gaza City, Gaza Strip.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Crisis takes toll on Gaza's seasoned doctors, medics

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

Israel rebuffs cease-fire calls as Gaza casualties rise

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Gazans feel abandoned by the world as Israel presses in

January 06, 2009 06:46 PM

world

Israel rebuffs cease-fire calls as Gaza casualties rise

January 05, 2009 08:20 AM

world

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

January 05, 2009 06:00 PM

world

Crisis takes toll on Gaza's seasoned doctors, medics

January 05, 2009 06:56 PM

world

Israeli troops cut Gaza in two in 'real war' to crush Hamas

January 04, 2009 09:35 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

5 reasons farmers grow thirsty crops in dry climates

July 24, 2015 11:50 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story