McClatchy DC Logo

U.N.: Afghan graves disturbed; physicians demand probe | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.N.: Afghan graves disturbed; physicians demand probe

Tom Lasseter - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 12, 2008 08:40 PM

Physicians for Human Rights Friday demanded an investigation in both Afghanistan and the U.S. of a McClatchy news report that a U.S.-allied warlord may have removed evidence from a mass gravesite in northern Afghanistan.

A United Nations official in Kabul, the Afghan capital, Friday confirmed to The Associated Press that the site had been "disturbed." A U.N. spokesman in New York, Farhan Haq, said Friday evening that, "We're certainly opposed to any disturbance of the gravesite."

Asked about PHR's call for an investigation, Haq said that the U.N. team in Afghanistan would have to examine the matter before he could comment.

The gravesite area, which a previous State Department cable said could hold as many as 2,000 bodies, was dug up during the past year. A U.N.-sponsored PHR team discovered two large pits in the grave area during a June-July trip to Afghanistan, and a McClatchy reporter found three new holes there last month.

SIGN UP

"Removing evidence of an alleged mass atrocity is itself a war crime and must be investigated," PHR's chief executive officer, Frank Donaghue said in a statement Friday. "The Afghan Government, with the support of the U.N. and the international community, must move quickly to protect the site."

However, without security assistance from NATO troops in Afghanistan, who're commanded by a U.S. general, the government in Kabul won't be able to secure the gravesite, Donaghue said in an interview with McClatchy Friday evening.

Donaghue said that a NATO-controlled team was based less than three miles from the site, and that securing it is "something the ... team could do tonight if they wanted to."

The U.N. in Afghanistan had acknowledged to McClatchy that it knew of the digging — reportedly by backhoes or bulldozers, or maybe both — but said in statement that it previously had decided not to publicly acknowledge it.

"You're right that we don't always make public statements, but that's because we're in a conflict environment and have to weigh up whether doing so will stall chances of progress against impunity in other areas or put lives at risk," said the statement, released this week by U.N. spokesman Adrian Edwards in Kabul.

The issue of evidence being removed from the gravesite is particularly sensitive because the man who some local Afghan officials accuse of being behind it, Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum, a feared warlord and a U.S. ally in the war against the Taliban and al Qaida.

It was Dostum's militia that reportedly stuffed thousands of suspected Taliban and al Qaida fighters into metal shipping containers in late 2001, when CIA officers and U.S. Special Forces were on the scene advising Dostum, and transported them to a prison in Sheberghan. When the containers arrived, many of the captives inside had suffocated or been shot, and Dostum's men then allegedly buried their corpses in the nearby Dasht-e-Leili desert.

Local Afghan officials told McClatchy that they thought Dostum wanted to destroy the evidence of the mass graves because of recent political problems that he feared could make him more vulnerable to prosecution.

Dostum, who's been in Turkey, was unavailable for comment.

Earlier this month, a Turkish newspaper said Dostum was in Turkey seeking a possible asylum deal, presumably because of a reported drunken assault that he and his men made on a rival leader in February.

Afghan officials wouldn't comment on the report. Dostum, speaking with journalists in Turkey, swatted away the idea that he was being barred from Afghanistan and said he could return whenever he wanted.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As possible Afghan war-crimes evidence removed, U.S. silent

Video: Human rights group calls for probe of mass grave's removal

Afghan warlord Dostum is 'everyone's friend'

ON THE WEB

Physicians for Human Rights statement on McClatchy report

State Department letter to Physicians for Human Rights regarding mass killings

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Mass grave plundered

December 24, 2008 10:36 PM

world

Human rights group calls for probe of mass grave's removal

December 12, 2008 04:58 PM

world

As possible Afghan war-crimes evidence removed, U.S. silent

December 11, 2008 05:39 PM

world

Afghan warlord Dostum is 'everyone's friend'

December 11, 2008 05:37 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story