McClatchy DC Logo

Iraqi may hang for murders of 2 U.S. soldiers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iraqi may hang for murders of 2 U.S. soldiers

Corinne Reilly - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 28, 2008 03:55 PM

BAGHDAD — An alleged al Qaida in Iraq member should be hanged for his role in the 2006 kidnapping, torture and execution of two American soldiers, an Iraqi court decided Tuesday.

Ibrahim Karim al Qaraghuli was found guilty of the murders by a three-judge panel in Iraq's Central Criminal Court in Baghdad after a three-hour trial. Two others accused of participating in the killings, Whalid Khalid al Kartani and Kazim Fadhil al Zowbai, were found not guilty for lack of evidence.

It wasn't clear when the two might be released or whether they could be tried again if new evidence emerges. Officials also couldn't say how long it might be before Qaraghuli is executed. He has 30 days to appeal the verdict, said Hugh Geoghegan, a spokesman for the U.S.'s Law and Order Task Force in Iraq.

Pfc. Kristian Menchaca, 23, of Houston and Pfc. Thomas Tucker, 25, of Madras, Ore., were captured after a firefight near Baghdad on June 16, 2006. Searchers found their badly mutilated bodies three days later. A third soldier, Spc. David Babineau, 25, of Springfield, Mass., died during the gun battle.

SIGN UP

U.S. forces arrested the three alleged al Qaida in Iraq members between July 2006 and July 2007. They eventually were charged with the soldiers' murders under Iraq's civilian anti-terrorism law.

Tuesday's verdict was unanimous. The suspects, all middle-aged Iraqis, have denied involvement in the soldiers' killings.

Physical evidence against Qaraghuli appeared to be the reason that he was convicted. Investigators have said they found his fingerprints on a truck that was used to drag Menchaca and Tucker through the streets after they were kidnapped. Iraqi villagers who witnessed the dragging gave statements connecting the other two suspects to the killings, but none of the witnesses showed up to testify Tuesday, Geoghegan said.

Their statements were read aloud in court, but defense attorneys argued that the evidence was nothing more than hearsay without the witnesses present, he said.

Babineau, Tucker and Menchaca were members of the 1st Platoon, B Company, 1st Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 101st Airborne Division, from Fort Campbell, Ky.

Three days after Tucker and Menchaca went missing, searchers found their bodies in Yusifiya, about 12 miles south of Baghdad, near where they'd been captured. They were burnt, tied together and booby-trapped with explosives. Menchaca's throat had been split. Tucker had been decapitated.

The two, along with Babineau, had driven away from their platoon to stand guard at a movable bridge in what was then one of the most dangerous areas in Iraq.

Other soldiers in their unit were guarding a checkpoint nearby when they heard an explosion followed by gunfire at about 8 p.m. By the time they reached the bridge, Babineau was dead and Menchaca and Tucker were gone.

Military investigators later concluded that the soldiers never should have been left alone and that numerous mistakes by their superiors left them vulnerable to attack. A platoon leader and a company commander were relieved of their duties as a result.

Several other suspected al Qaida in Iraq members are thought to have participated in the soldiers' murders, but investigators haven't been able to gather enough evidence to charge anyone else. One suspect was killed in firefight about a month after the murders.

U.S. officials have rejected speculation that insurgents targeted the soldiers for revenge. Soon after their deaths, however, five members of their unit were charged with the March 2006 rape and murder of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl in a village near Yusifiya. The girl's parents and sister also were murdered.

Four of the soldiers were convicted. One is still awaiting trial.

(Reilly reports for the Merced (Calif.) Sun-Star.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. lists services it'll cut off if Iraq rejects pact on troops

As clock ticks, U.S. letting thousands of Iraqi prisoners go

CIA led mystery Syria raid that killed terrorist leader

Iraq's prime minister won't sign U.S. troop deal

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story