McClatchy DC Logo

Top U.S. diplomat in Peshawar, Pakistan, unhurt after ambush | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Top U.S. diplomat in Peshawar, Pakistan, unhurt after ambush

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 26, 2008 02:40 PM

Islamabad, Pakistan — Gunmen opened fire on a vehicle carrying the top U.S. diplomat in the volatile northwestern city of Peshawar Tuesday. But consul-general Lynne Tracy was unhurt as were the other two U.S. consular employees.

The assault comes as Pakistani security forces are battling Taliban militants in two areas that border Peshawar — the Bajaur tribal area and the valley of Swat. The extremists have vowed revenge, carrying out two suicide bomb attacks last week, although there was no claim of responsibility for the attempt on Tracy.

Tracy was attacked in her armor-plated vehicle just after she was driven out of her home in the university town residential district of Peshawar, the capital of the insurgency-plagued North West Frontier Province.

Gunmen leaped out of a Toyota Land Cruiser jeep, which blocked her vehicle, and sprayed it with bullets from automatic weapons, NWFP police chief Malik Naveed Khan said.

SIGN UP

However, the bullets either did not hit or bounced off the armor of her vehicle. Her driver quickly reversed back into her home, knocking over a rickshaw in the panic, whose driver was taken to hospital.

"The people never pursued her," Khan said. "It's early to say (who was behind it), we are looking into all aspects."

The only damage was to the engine of Tracy's vehicle, which was hit by bullets that ricocheted off the road, said Khan.

The U.S. consulate is a fortress-like building, surrounded by rings of concrete and barbed wire, which is about a 20 -minute drive from Tracy's home. But the home of the consul-general is a regular-looking house that does not appear to have any special protection. Tracy, originally from Ohio, has held the post for two years.

Lou Fintor, a spokesman for the U.S. embassy in Islamabad, confirmed that a "security incident" had taken place in Peshawar involving a consulate vehicle in which no employee was injured, but would give no further details.

"The consulate is open and operating normally," said Fintor.

Around 100 Americans and Pakistanis work at the consulate in Peshawar, a tempting target for extremists. From there and the embassy in Islamabad, which are both thought to have a major CIA presence, U.S. officials monitor militant groups operating in Pakistan. Peshawar is located on the edge of the lawless tribal area, which is a base for Taliban and al Qaida operating in neighboring Afghanistan.

In 2006, a suicide car bomb attack on the U.S. consulate in Karachi killed an American diplomat. Earlier this year, a car bombing at the Danish embassy in Islamabad killed five Pakistanis.

Rustam Shah, an analyst who was formerly the Pakistani ambassador to Afghanistan, said that militants' anger against Pakistani army operations might also be directed against U.S. interests.

"They (the militants) believe this force has become a stooge, promoting someone else's agenda," said Shah. "They regard them as America's mercenaries."

Separately, three contenders put in their nominations for the contest to be the next president of Pakistan Tuesday, including Asif Ali Zardari, widower of slain former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, who is almost certain to win. Zardari lodged his nomination as details emerged of court documents in London, in which his doctors declared just last year that he was suffering severe psychiatric problems.

Zardari's defense had filed the court papers, reported in the Financial Times, in a successful attempt to postpone a court hearing over corruption allegations.

A spokesperson for Zardari's Pakistan People's Party, Farahnaz Ispahani, said Zardari "was indeed unwell for a time after his release from prison (in 2004). He is now in good health. Distorting the private health records of our nation's leader is a remnant of a darker era of our national history."

Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Pakistan's governing coalition splits, promising more convulsions

Bhutto's widower will seek Pakistan's presidency

Double suicide blast kills 60 at Pakistan arms plant

Musharraf's resignation won't solve Pakistan's problems

Pakistan's Musharraf resigns to avoid impeachment turmoil

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story