McClatchy DC Logo

Diyala raid was rogue operation, Iraqi government says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Diyala raid was rogue operation, Iraqi government says

Nicholas Spangler - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 22, 2008 06:02 PM

BAGHDAD — The Iraqi paramilitary unit that stormed a government complex in Iraq's Diyala province earlier this week usually is directed by the prime minister's office, but was acting without its orders in this case, the Iraqi government said Friday.

Abdul Karim Khalaf, an Interior Ministry spokesman who's serving as the interim commander of police in Diyala, described the emergency response unit as a counterterrorism force that's nominally under Interior oversight but with its own chain of command. The name of its leader and the size of its force are classified, he said.

A spokesman for the Iraqi Islamic Party challenged the assertion that the unit was acting without orders, days after a prominent member was arrested in one of the raids. "We believe that such a raid could not have taken place unless Mr. Maliki had at least prior knowledge of it," said Dr. Salim Abdullah al Juboori, referring to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki.

At least 30 ERU's are operating in Iraq, according to D.J. Elliott of the Long War Journal Web site, with some elements trained by U.S. Special Operations Forces.

SIGN UP

The unit that conducted Tuesday's raids usually is based in Baghdad but has been operating in Diyala since late July, according to a Defense Ministry spokesman, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

During the raids, unit forces killed the governor's secretary and got into a gunfight with local police.

Some of those who participated in or planned the raid have been arrested, Khalaf said. He wouldn't say whom, but he faulted the commander of the unit that conducted the raid. "He didn't inform the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Defense about this raid," he said.

The unit on Tuesday arrested the head of the provincial council's security committee and the president of the local university, charging both under Iraq's broad anti-terrorism law. Both men are Sunni Muslims, and the security committee head was the liaison between the Iraqi security forces and the Sons of Iraq, the largely Sunni groups whom the U.S. pays to fight the al Qaida in Iraq group. The two remain in custody.

Some members of the Sons of Iraq say they've been unjustly targeted in recent weeks by a massive military and police operation in the province.

The Shiite Muslim-dominated Iraqi government says it's clearing Diyala of insurgents, but some outside the ruling coalition see politics.

"All of these operations — Basra, Amara, Mosul — have political dimensions that are unannounced," Jaboori said. "We believe it is to give Prime Minister Maliki a foothold and standing in these provinces."

(Spangler reports for The Miami Herald.)

More from McClatchy:

U.S. denounces chaotic Iraqi raid

Petraeus: Iraq slows hiring of former insurgents

Iraq still demanding withdrawal date, right to try U.S. troops

Key U.S. Iraq strategy in danger of collapse

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. denounces chaotic Iraqi raid

August 20, 2008 03:44 PM

world

Iraqi army seizes 2 Sunni officials in chaotic pre-dawn raid

August 19, 2008 05:36 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story