McClatchy DC Logo

Lawyers give expert testimony at bin Laden's driver's trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Lawyers give expert testimony at bin Laden's driver's trial

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 28, 2008 05:17 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Lawyers opened the second week of the terror trial of Osama bin Laden's driver Monday with dueling expert testimony, about the nature of war, and the nature of al Qaida.

In the morning, a former Pentagon law of war expert testified for the driver's defense team that until the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the U.S. war on terror was an on-again, off-again military matter and mostly a federal criminal investigation.

Before 9/11, ''We treated this enemy predominantly as a terrorist threat subject to our law enforcement response capability,'' said retired Lt. Col. Geoffrey Corn.

During those years the military's use was limited. As examples he cited the retaliatory attacks for the 1998 East Africa embassies bombings, when President Clinton ordered air strikes on a suspected al Qaeda site in Khartoum, Sudan, and training camps in Afghanistan.

SIGN UP

Once al Qaida killed nearly 3,000 dead in the Pentagon, World Trade Center and a Pennsylvania field, ''the stakes had been raised,'' Corn testified.

And the Bush administration made an affirmative decision to employ military force, full-time. ''We recognized at that point,'' said Corn, "that the best and most effective way to respond to it was the use of combat power.''

At issue is a core of the sweeping conspiracy charge against Salim Hamdan, 37, the Yemeni driver accused of also providing material support for terror as bin Laden's $200-a-month driver.

Prosecutors claim he joined the conspiracy the first time Hamdan set foot in Afghanistan in 1996, in a failed bid to join a jihad in Tajikistan. They allege his crimes cover the era of the embassies car bombings and a suicide attack by an explosives-laden boat on the USS Cole in 2002, even though he neither plotted nor knew about the terror attacks beforehand.

Defense lawyers argue he drove for a wage, not ideology, and began around the time of the Sept. 11 attacks.

The military judge, Navy Capt. Keith Allred, has said he will include the start-of-the-war issue in his instructions to the jury of six U.S. military officers, when they decide the case.

Corn testified Monday morning through video link from Madrid, as a defense witness. Allred allowed him to go early — before the prosecution finishes its case — as a convenience, since the retired officer who now teaches law in Houston is on vacation.

In the afternoon, a counter-terrorism scholar brought a movie he made to instruct the military jury on the roots and propaganda tactics of al Qaida.

Georgetown University graduate Evan Kohlmann was expected later in the day to narrate the movie, called The al Qaida Plan, which he made at Pentagon expense for use at the first U.S. war crimes tribunal since World War II.

He modeled the video after The Nazi Plan, an instructional movie shown at the late 1940s Nuremberg tribunals for the most senior Nazi leadership.

He explained that he had been studying al Qaida since college, and spent so much time at it, "that I know the voice of Osama bin Laden now better than my family members'.''

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story