McClatchy DC Logo

As violence drops, some ponder faster Iraq troop withdrawals | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

As violence drops, some ponder faster Iraq troop withdrawals

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 30, 2008 07:33 PM

WASHINGTON — Violence against civilians and U.S. and Iraqi military forces dropped to some of the lowest levels of the war in May even as Iraqi troops are leading offensives in three major cities.

That drop, combined with the Iraqi forces' growing capabilities, has some military experts wondering whether the Pentagon could accelerate the drawdown of its troops.

"Do we really need 155,000 troops to support the Iraqis?" asked one senior military official at the Pentagon who didn't want to be identified because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

So far this month, 20 U.S. troops have been killed in Iraq. If that number holds through Saturday, May will have the lowest death toll since February 2004, two months before U.S. forces launched a major offensive against Sunni insurgents in Fallujah.

SIGN UP

Statistics compiled by the U.S. military show that Iraq troop deaths also are falling, dropping to around 100 through May 24, compared to a peak of about 320 last July. That decline is particularly surprising because this month, Iraqi forces swept through the southern port city of Basra, the Sadr City section of Baghdad and the northern city of Mosul.

The role of U.S. soldiers also has begun changing. In parts of Iraq, soldiers said they now feel more like peacekeepers than war fighters. Indeed, as their Iraqi counterparts lead offensives, U.S. soldiers increasingly are supporting them with logistics by patrolling nearby neighborhoods or training new units.

As the statistics began showing a drop in violence, Gen. David Petraeus, the top military commander in Iraq, has said he's increasingly optimistic that the U.S. could withdraw more of its troops after the roughly 30,000 forces sent to support his surge strategy leave at the end of July.

The shift in the U.S. mission in Iraq has some at the Pentagon asking whether the U.S. could draw down more troops in Iraq and beef up U.S. forces in Afghanistan, where violence is increasing.

In interviews, four senior military leaders and several retired military commanders who're privy to discussion at the Pentagon said that the U.S. should at least consider drawing down troops faster if the statistics remain steady.

"That is the goal, after all," the senior military official said.

The United States is becoming less relevant in Iraq, they argue, and keeping 15 combat brigades in Iraq indefinitely threatens to break an already fragile Army.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has long hinted that U.S. influence in Iraq is limited, and this month in Basra and Sadr City, Iraqi-led units have brought more security than their coalition counterparts have.

U.S. statistics show between 400-500 Iraqi civilians were killed in May, a two-year low.

Some military experts, however, said it's too early to conclude that the situation in Iraq has changed, noting there still is no political reconciliation. Top Sunni lawmakers walked out of the government this week, and the Iraqi government won't hold provincial elections on time this fall. Most Iraqis agree that their forces cannot secure Iraq on their own.

"You can't just turn this over immediately," said Col. Michael Meese, the head of the Department of Social Sciences at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and a Petraeus advisor. "I think the problem is that you are not going to have a defining moment . ... It is a careful calculation."

Fred Kagan, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and the co-author of the original surge proposal, noted that the majority of U.S. troop deaths happened in the once restive Anbar province or in Salah ad Din province, another Sunni Muslim stronghold.

Sunni extremist groups such as al Qaida "are trying to come back" to places like Anbar.

Kagan says it's too early to begin leaving. "I don't see that we are paying a price (in Iraq) for having more U.S. troop there," he said. "We don't want to have to do this again."

If the Bush administration can leave Iraq more secure than most imagined a few months ago, that could help Sen. John. McCain (R-Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential candidate, who backs the U.S. strategy.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story