McClatchy DC Logo

Beijing prepares for any terrorist threats to Olympics | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Beijing prepares for any terrorist threats to Olympics

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 28, 2008 10:21 AM

BEIJING — Health officials said Wednesday that they were prepared for an array of nightmare terrorist attacks on the Beijing Summer Olympic Games, ranging from anthrax and black plague to radiological "dirty bombs."

"We have already made full preparations," Jin Dapeng, the head of medical security for the Olympic Games, said at a news briefing.

Jin said medical teams were undergoing training on how to deal with radiation and biological attack, and that squads could test for 10 biological toxins quickly should an attack be suspected.

Authorities have given no indication that extremist groups intend to target the Summer Games in Beijing, where security will be tight, but experts say that the Olympics always draw a lot of spectators and are an attractive target for global terrorists.

SIGN UP

Some 500,000 foreigners are expected to visit Beijing for the event.

Security officials already are implementing a number of precautions around the capital, including removing doors from stalls at 200 public toilets near venues for the games.

By the end of June, security agents will have put metal detectors at all subway stations and will randomly frisk some riders, sweep handheld detectors over others and deploy dog patrols along platforms. Subway passengers won't be able to carry liquids past checkpoints. Some 1.5 million people ride the subway every day.

One of Beijing's five subway lines suspended operations twice during Wednesday evening rush hour, once for half an hour, and some passengers feared that a terrorist attack was the cause. But the state news agency, Xinhua, quoted officials as saying that "signal failure" was the reason.

Tens of thousands of surveillance cameras dot the city, and some 94,000 police officers will be deployed to ensure safety during the games Aug. 8-24.

Jin said that 156 first aid stations would be scattered around the capital of 16 million people, with 24 hospitals designated to deal with any Olympics-related health emergency.

He declined to say whether authorities had gathered any evidence identifying possible plots during the games, indicating instead that Beijing would try to smash any plot.

"Prevention is the most important thing," Jin said. "We've got all the pre-plans in place. These plans involve all kinds of agencies and departments in addition to the Health Department."

Earlier this month, the security chief for the games, Tian Yixiang, was quoted in state news media as saying that the greatest threat to the games comes from Muslim radicals under the banner of the outlawed East Turkestan Islamic Movement, Tibetan separatists and the banned Falun Gong religious sect.

He said any of the three groups "may try to disrupt and sabotage the smooth holding of the Olympic Games by various means or even by some extreme means of violence."

Dissidents say that China is playing up the terrorist threat to justify a crackdown on restive groups such as Tibetans in the southwest and Muslim Uighurs in the far west, although Interpol and the Bush administration have said that the games are a potential target for attack.

Last week, the U.N. nuclear agency, headquartered in Vienna, Austria, said its experts had provided Chinese authorities with simulated exercises to detect radiological attacks, and that small radiation detectors would be installed at various Olympic venues.

While terrorists have never used a "dirty bomb" before, in which a conventional explosive is used to spread radioactive material around an urban area, security experts fear that they may try to one day. Such an attack could have a huge psychological impact and serious economic consequences, due to radiation hazards in contaminated areas.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story