McClatchy DC Logo

As Olympics near, jittery China clamps down on foreigners, concerts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

As Olympics near, jittery China clamps down on foreigners, concerts

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 24, 2008 03:52 PM

BEIJING — Nervous that troublemakers may slip across the border before the Olympic Games, China is making it harder for foreigners to obtain entry visas and halting public gatherings where embarrassing protests over Tibet might take place.

Authorities suspended a May 1-4 rock festival that's the biggest annual outdoor music event in China, saying the event could be dangerous, an organizer said Thursday.

Other commercial events also have been canceled in recent weeks, including a Celine Dion concert in Beijing and a pillow fight aimed at drawing shoppers to a mall.

Chinese authorities are in no mood for such parties. Unrest in Tibetan regions last month marked the biggest wave of ethnic disturbances in nearly two decades, sparking protests worldwide as the Olympic torch made its way around the globe this month.

SIGN UP

On Thursday, the torch passed through Canberra, Australia, where police made seven arrests, and then it headed to Nagano, Japan, under heavy security.

Many Chinese watched angrily as protests bedeviled the torch relay earlier this month in England and France, seeing them as an attempt to humiliate China. With government approval, some Chinese have launched protests outside Chinese branches of French retailer Carrefour, voicing often-irate anti-Western sentiments.

Tightened entry rules into China began a week or so ago and are to last through the Aug. 8-24 Summer Games. The new visa requirements have distressed foreign business owners and executives with operations on the mainland.

Chinese consulates abroad commonly granted multiple-entry visas but now are limiting most applicants to single- or double-entry visas, and only if travelers have air tickets and hotel bookings in hand.

"Business people need stability to operate, and the Hong Kong business community has been thrown into great turmoil as a result of the new and largely misunderstood visa policies," said Richard R. Vuylsteke, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong, in a letter to a Chinese Foreign Ministry official. The letter was posted on the chamber's Web site.

A scholar in Hong Kong said the visa restrictions and the sudden cancellations of public events reveal China's nervousness in the run-up to the Olympic Games.

"The whole idea is, 'Make sure that nothing goes wrong.' This is a paramount consideration, and they are willing to pay the price," said Joseph Cheng, a political scientist at City University of Hong Kong.

The founder and organizer of the Midi Festival, the suspended four-day rock event, said he'd invited 30 bands from the United States, Europe and Australia to perform along with 100 Chinese bands on six different stages at the Beijing festival.

"I think it's good for the Olympics and for China, but the government doesn't think so," said Zhang Fan, the organizer. "They think it's dangerous."

He said officials were particularly unhappy that Bjork, the Icelandic singer, shouted "Tibet! Tibet!" at the end of a concert in Shanghai on March 2.

Asked the reasons for the Midi cancellation, Zhang said: "First, it's Bjork. Second, it's Tibet, and third, it's the torch. Fourth, it's that a lot of Chinese people are angry."

The Foreign Ministry, meanwhile, declared that authorities would guarantee "the physical safety and legal rights" of foreigners coming to China, and it rejected reports that a throng of protesters had tried to harm an American volunteer teacher in Hunan province.

James Galvin, a 22-year-old Boston College graduate, was taunted outside a Carrefour market in Zhuzhou Sunday night. He later sent an email to an English-language Web site in Shanghai saying that while chanting protesters had surrounded his taxi, they didn't break any windows or harm him.

"I was not in fact attacked by a mob," Galvin told the Shanghaiist.com Web site. He couldn't be reached directly.

Steven Parker, the China field director for WorldTeach, a Cambridge, Mass.-based program that sends volunteers around the world, warned volunteers in a letter Monday to stay away from protests, saying a mob had tried to smash the windows of Galvin's taxi and tip it over, making him feel "extremely unsafe."

A McClatchy story reported Parker's initial version. The Foreign Ministry sent a fax to the Beijing bureau saying his version "misrepresented" what Galvin later clarified had occurred.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Olympic torch relay brings China woe rather than glory

April 18, 2008 02:23 PM

world

As Olympics protests mount, China blasts its foreign critics

April 15, 2008 03:41 PM

world

An angry China is lashing out at its foreign critics

April 15, 2008 07:36 AM

world

Olympics chief: China games facing crisis amid protests

April 10, 2008 02:29 PM

world

Chinese activist gets 3 years in pre-Olympics crackdown

April 03, 2008 10:35 AM

world

China vows to curb smog for Olympics as athletes drop out

March 11, 2008 04:50 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story