McClatchy DC Logo

Israelis attack to counter rockets and kill 50 in Gaza | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Israelis attack to counter rockets and kill 50 in Gaza

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 01, 2008 04:40 PM

JERUSALEM — Palestinian negotiators threatened Saturday to suspend already-sluggish peace talks with Israel after more than 50 Gaza Strip residents, including at least six children, were killed in Israeli attacks.

It was the deadliest day in years as the Israeli military launched a campaign of air strikes, artillery fire and ground attacks aimed at Palestinian militants who launch rockets from Gaza into southern Israel. By nightfall, more than 50 Palestinians and two Israeli soldiers had been killed.

The escalating clashes in Gaza are likely to set a sour tone when U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice arrives in Jerusalem later this week as part of the Bush administration's attempt to broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal by year's end.

On Saturday, Palestinian negotiators warned that the Israeli military actions were poisoning the well of goodwill and could kill the fragile peace talks.

SIGN UP

"I don't think Abu Ala and I can meet with the Israelis under these kind of circumstances," said veteran Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat, who is leading peace talks with Ahmed Qureia, also known as Abu Ala.

Qureia said he urged Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to cut off talks with the Israelis, even though the two sides are not scheduled to meet again until after Rice's visit.

"What is happening in Gaza is a massacre of civilians, women and children, a collective killing, a genocide," Qureia told the Associated Press.

Israeli leaders said suspending peace talks would be counter-productive and only embolden the militant group Hamas, which controls Gaza, in its ongoing attempts to torpedo the Bush administration's Middle East diplomacy.

"The decision of the Palestinian Authority to suspend talks plays into the hands of Hamas," said Arye Mekel, a spokesman for Israel's foreign ministry.

Mekel also said that Israel couldn't base its military decisions on the schedule of the Bush administration's chief diplomat.

"That's not something that we can consider," said Mekel. "The Palestinians have decided since Wednesday to send these rockets to Ashkelon and now we have a quarter of a million citizens in range."

Israel launched the weekend operation after a crude Palestinian rocket killed an Israeli college student on Wednesday and more advanced rockets hit Askhelon, the largest city close to the Gaza border.

Palestinian militants struck Ashkelon again on Saturday with at least seven rockets that injured six Israelis. Another 30 rockets were fired at smaller communities near the Gaza borders that caused no serious injuries.

By hitting the largest city about 10 miles from the Gaza border, Palestinian militants effectively opened up a broader front.

For the most part, Palestinian militants fire crude Qassam rockets that have no guidance systems and modest explosives. Over the last year, Palestinian militants have fired more than 2,000 Qassam rockets into southern Israel that have killed three Israelis.

But the rockets that hit Ashkelon were more sophisticated, lending credence to Israel's long complaint that Hamas was smuggling more advanced rockets into Gaza.

In response to persistent hawkish pressure to take military steps to quash the rocket launchers, the Israeli military launched Saturday's Gaza assault.

Medical officials in Gaza said at least six children and 20 civilians were among the casualties. In the last two months, more than 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, according to the Israeli human rights group B'Tselem. In the last four days alone, eighteen children have been killed, Gaza medical officials said.

Karen Abu Zayd, the head of the United Nations refugee agency in Gaza, said she was "horrified at the violence engulfing Gaza, where the death toll of innocent civilians, including children, rises each hour."

Even before Saturday, there were growing signs that the Bush administration's push for peace was in trouble. Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayyad has cast doubts on the prospect for a peace deal this year. Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's critical coalition party partner, Shas, is threatening to bring down the government if and when the two sides begin to talk about the possibility of redrawing the boundaries of Jerusalem.

And now the Israeli military operation is casting a new cloud.

(Special correspondent Ahmed Abu Hamdan contributed to this report from Gaza City, Gaza Strip.)

Read Dion Nissenbaum's blog, Checkpoint Jerusalem, at

http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/jerusalem

ms

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story