The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It's posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy's Washington Bureau.
- Around 7 a.m. mortar shells slammed into the Green Zone. A U.S. State Department spokesman in Baghdad confirmed the attack and said there were no deaths, injuries or significant damage due to the attack.
- Gunmen shot Shihab Al Timimi, the Iraqi journalists syndicate chief. He was injured in an area close to the syndicate's headquarters in Al Waziriyah.
- Around 2 p.m. a roadside bomb targeted civilians in Beirut square, killing one civilian and injuring two others.
- Iraqi police found three bodies, one in Shaab, one in Al Qanat area and one in Saidiyah.
- Around 11 a.m. three suicide bombers wearing vest bombs targeted Ibraheem Teeri, a tribal sheikh, in Al Shiha town north of Fallujah, killing Teeri and two policemen. The suicide attackers were dressed as women. The first one approached Teeri's car in a check point in Al Sheeha area and detonated his vest bomb. Less than five minutes later the second man detonated himself. Police killed the third suicide attacker and identified the three attackers to be residents from the area, two of them were brothers.
- Around 9 a.m. a roadside bomb exploded in front of Nouri Khalil's house, a member of Beiji city local council. It killed Khalil's wife and son.
- Around 2 p.m. a roadside bomb targeted Iraqi police vehicle on a highway south of Samarra, killing two police officers and injuring three others.
- Iraqi police today on the Tigris River near Samarra chased a suicide bomber in a boat. The bomber was wearing a vest bomb and he detonated himself before the police could arrest him.