McClatchy DC Logo

Islamic militants capture Pakistani fort | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Islamic militants capture Pakistani fort

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 16, 2008 07:05 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Hundreds of Islamic militants overran and occupied a fort near Pakistan's border with Afghanistan in a bold assault that left as many as 47 people dead.

The loss of the Sararogha Fort was a significant blow to Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf's efforts to re-establish control over the frontier region of South Waziristan, which has become a base for Taliban and al Qaida operations.

Pakistan's northwestern border with Afghanistan, where Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants fled after a U.S. assault drove them out of Afghanistan in 2001, is fast overtaking Iraq as the central front in the Bush administration's war on terrorism. U.S. officials are increasingly worried that if militants seize control of the region, they could establish an even more secure terrorist base than the one they already have and further destabilize Pakistan's shaky central government.

A group of militants led by Baitullah Mehsud, a local chief who Pakistani authorities charge was behind last month's assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto, claimed responsibility for the attack. The leader of the Mehsud tribe that runs much of South Warizistan, Mehsud commands thousands of men and heads the Pakistani version of the Taliban. Pakistani authorities say he also is closely linked to al Qaida.

SIGN UP

"This was a very intense attack, and the number of the militants this time was quite large," said Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, the Pakistani army spokesman.

"I'm surprised at this attack. They (tribal militants) don't usually come in large numbers," said Khalid Aziz, a former provincial administrator and political analyst based in Peshawar. "Are they trying to fight like an army?"

Aziz said the attack was the first large-scale military movement by the militants and was a departure from the militants' usual guerrilla tactics. He said it might be a signal that a major new jihad — Islamic holy war — against the U.S.-backed Pakistani government had begun.

Abbas said that on Tuesday night some 200 militants attacked the colonial-era frontier fort, which was defended by a platoon of 42 men from the government's paramilitary Frontier Corps (FC), but were repulsed by artillery and small-arms fire.

An hour and a half later, more than 300 militants returned and surrounded the fort, one of about 20 government forts in South Waziristan, blew a hole in one wall and stormed it. Abbas said that 40 militants were killed, seven soldiers were dead and 20 were missing, and 15 escaped to the nearest Pakistan military outpost.

Maulvi Omar, a spokesman for Mehsud, claimed that 16 soldiers were killed and 12 were taken hostage. He claimed that only two Pakistani Taliban died in the operation.

"This (fort) was the only presence of the FC within the heartland of Mehsud territory," said retired Brigadier Mehmood Shah, who previously was the top civil servant in the Federally Administered Tribal Area. "Baitullah Mehsud wants to take over complete control of the area."

Although the Pakistani army has 12,000 men stationed in South Waziristan, it appears that no reinforcements or helicopter gunships were dispatched to the Sararogha Fort during the four-hour assault.

It's unclear how long the militants could hold the fort, especially if Pakistani troops return in force, but analysts said the operation was largely symbolic.

Musharraf's government has oscillated between trying to talk peace with the frontier tribes and all-out military action. The Bush administration opposes negotiations with the Islamists and was critical of a short-lived 2006 peace treaty between the government and the tribesmen.

"There doesn't seem to be a long-term policy" in Waziristan, said Dr. Hasan Askari Rizvi, a military analyst based in Lahore. "It's just deal with the situation and try to keep things under control."

Rizvi said that a political channel was needed to agree to terms with tribal leaders.

"Otherwise, you'll end up with a war that lasts years," he said. "Pakistan will be bogged down, like the U.S. is in Afghanistan."

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Mysterious crowd suddenly stopped Bhutto's car, officer says

January 11, 2008 04:04 PM

world

Islamic parties lose support in Pakistan

January 08, 2008 05:37 PM

world

Should America dump its man in Pakistan?

January 03, 2008 07:03 PM

world

Scotland Yard to aid in Bhutto investigation

January 02, 2008 10:05 AM

world

Video further batters Pakistani government's credibility

December 31, 2007 06:33 PM

world

Musharraf, opposition harden positions over elections

January 01, 2008 02:36 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

New Muslim congresswoman to be sworn in with Thomas Jefferson’s centuries-old Quran

January 03, 2019 11:25 AM

Sharice Davids shows ‘respect’ for Pelosi’s authority on Congress’ first day

January 03, 2019 03:22 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story