McClatchy DC Logo

Sunnis return to parliament as Negroponte asks for political progress | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Sunnis return to parliament as Negroponte asks for political progress

Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 02, 2007 05:54 PM

BAGHDAD — Sunni parliament members agreed to return to the legislative assembly after a brief boycott ended Sunday night, as a top U.S. official warned of future violence if more political reconciliation is not made.

The parliamentary boycott, which began Saturday and pitted Sunnis against Shiites following what was called the house arrest of a leading Sunni politician, subsided as Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte rapped up his six-day tour of Iraq.

"The security surge has delivered significant results," Negroponte told reporters at a news conference in Baghdad. "Now progress on political reconciliation, including key national legislation as well as economic advances, is needed to consolidate the gains. If progress is not made on these fronts we risk falling back toward the more violent habits of the past."

The National Security Advisor Mowaffak al Rubaie along with others in parliament, escorted Adnan al Dulaimi, a leading member of the Iraqi Accordance Front to the Al Rasheed hotel, across from the parliament after at least two days of confinement at his home.

SIGN UP

The Sunni bloc planned to return to the parliament Monday, said Thafir al Ani, a Sunni lawmaker from the Iraqi Accordance Front.

Members of the Iraqi Accordance Front said Dulaimi had been placed under house arrest. In contrast, other officials and the U.S. military said it had been done for his own protection after about 40 members of his staff, including security guards and his son, were detained in relation to car bombings and killings near his home in the Sunni Adil district of Baghdad.

Over the past year the security guards of Sunni leaders have been accused of turning on them.

Abdul Sattar Abu Risha, a tribal leader in Anbar province credited with founding the awakening movement that fought al Qaida in Anbar province, was targeted and killed by his own bodyguard. An assassination attempt on Sunni Deputy Prime Minister Salam al Zobaie also was blamed on one of his bodyguards.

While Sunnis plan to return to parliament Monday so far there has been little done toward national reconciliation.

The Justice and Accountability Law, a law to soften the deBaathification law that banned tens of thousands of members of Saddam's government from serving in the new Iraqi government, was met with jeers, chants of "No! No! to Baathists!" and a walk-out by political members from Shiite cleric Muqtada al Sadr's party.

On Saturday the law was read again after the 44 members of the Iraqi Accordance front had left the hall in protest over the confinement of Dulaimi and his daughter.

According to the U.S. military, about 40 members of his staff and security guards were detained in connection with the murder of a "Concerned Local Citizen" — a group of mostly Sunni guards hired by the U.S.

The dead man was killed a block from Dulaimi's house and a car matching the description of the getaway vehicle was left in the adjacent street and two men were apparently hiding in Dulaimi's compound, a U.S. military statement said.

In that same investigation the U.S. military found a wired car bomb outside Dulaimi's compound and one of the guards at Dulaimi's compound had the key to the vehicle. After a controlled detonation of the car bomb, another explosion injured five U.S. soldiers and a civilian. Iraqi Security forces detained the men and the matter is still under investigation.

For months members of the government and parliament have been campaigning to lift al Dulaimi's governmental immunity.

"It is nothing related to Shiite or Sunni," Sadiq al Rikabi, advisor to the Prime Minister said. "They (Iraqi Accordance Front) don't like to admit that one of there leaders is involved in terrorist activities."

Also last week, the U.S. military amended the number of "Concerned Local Citizens," a program to use local residents, mostly Sunnis, to watch over their neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, the military revised its estimate of the number of Concerned Local Citizens, cutting the level from 77,542 to 60,321. The U.S. military has about 51,190 under contract for $300 a month.

McClatchy Special Correspondent Hussein Kadhim contributed to this report.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story