McClatchy DC Logo

Turkish premier says he's 'happy' with Bush's offer on Kurdish rebels | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Turkish premier says he's 'happy' with Bush's offer on Kurdish rebels

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 05, 2007 06:58 PM

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Monday promised Turkey's prime minister improved intelligence-sharing and high-level military contacts to counter Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, easing fears of a major Turkish cross-border incursion in the coming days.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said after talks with Bush at the White House that Turkey remains prepared to strike into northern Iraq, where the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, is launching deadly attacks on Turkey.

"Turkey has the power to defend itself," Erdogan said in a speech at the National Press Club in Washington. "We are on the point of using our rights emanating from international law," he added, apparently referring to the right of self-defense.

But Erdogan gave no sign that a military operation was imminent and at one point told the audience with a smile that he was "happy" with the results of the discussions with Bush.

SIGN UP

Turkey has amassed an estimated 100,000 soldiers on its southeastern border facing Iraq, and its parliament voted overwhelmingly last month to authorize operations against the PKK.

The crisis has put the United States in an uncomfortable position between two allies: Turkey, a partner in NATO, and Iraq, where U.S. troops are fighting to bring about rough stability.

A Turkish incursion could destabilize the one relatively peaceful part of Iraq, the largely Kurdish north, and give Iraq's other neighbors cover to intervene.

Turkish leaders, private analysts and even Bush's former special envoy for dealing with the PKK, retired Air Force Gen. Joseph Ralston, have criticized the administration for failing to deal with the problem more urgently.

Bush, in a brief Oval Office appearance with Erdogan, seemed at pains to empathize with Turkey's concerns.

"The PKK is a terrorist organization. They're an enemy of Turkey, they're an enemy of Iraq and they're an enemy of the United States," Bush said.

He said he and Erdogan discussed improving intelligence-sharing, as well as a maintaining a three-way military channel between the No. 2 military officers in the U.S. and Turkey, and Gen. David Petraeus, the commander of U.S.-led forces in Iraq. No details were released.

Erdogan said the new steps must "yield results in the shortest time possible."

The steps fell short of Turkish demands, which include immediately closing PKK camps in northern Iraq, cutting off logistical support for the group and capturing the group's leaders.

Nonetheless, in Ankara, Turkey, Hasan Cemal, a columnist for Milliyet newspapers, said late Monday: "Whether or not Turkey moves into Iraq now is no longer the question — that option is gone, except for the limited target attacks we've seen recently. But a large-scale incursion is no longer on the table."

Erdogan is personally reluctant to intervene in northern Iraq, but faces intense public pressure to take action, said Bulent Aliriza, of the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. The PKK, which wants an independent Kurdish state, have killed 30 Turkish soldiers and 15 civilians in the last month.

Erdogan made little secret of his disdain for the Kurdish Regional Government, which runs a semi-autonomous administration in three provinces of northern Iraq. The regional government has said it won't launch operations against the PKK because it would spark a Kurdish civil war.

But Erdogan said Turkey gave refuge to 500,000 Kurdish fighters and their families after the 1991 Persian Gulf War, when they rebelled and were attacked by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. "I find it quite difficult to understand the situation myself," he said.

He also criticized what he described as Europe's lax attitude toward the PKK. A PKK leader was captured in France, allowed to remain free while on trial and escaped via Austria to Iraq, he said.

Erdogan also criticized a U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee resolution passed last month that labeled the killing of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire during World War I as "genocide." Under heavy pressure from Bush, House Democrats retreated from sending the measure to the full House of Representatives for a vote.

"There is no such thing as genocide. Those who claim it must prove it," Erdogan said.

(Matthew Schofield contributed from Ankara, Turkey.)

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story