McClatchy DC Logo

Aid agency warns of possible starvation in eastern Ethiopia | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Aid agency warns of possible starvation in eastern Ethiopia

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 04, 2007 05:40 PM

NAIROBI, Kenya — A leading relief agency said Tuesday that Ethiopian government forces had blocked relief efforts and food supplies in parts of the rebel Ogaden region, adding the threat of starvation to a rapidly growing humanitarian crisis.

Doctors Without Borders said that Ethiopian forces — which are trying to crush a long-running separatist movement in the eastern region — repeatedly had denied its teams access to two of the worst-affected areas in recent weeks, citing security operations.

Agency staff members who traveled along some main roads in the harsh, rock-strewn Ogaden in June, July and August saw villages burned and abandoned, severe shortages of even basic medicines and widespread signs of malnutrition. They said that at least 400,000 people urgently needed help. Some doctors said Ethiopian troops were enforcing partial food blockades in certain areas.

"I think we are missing a big thing that is happening under our eyes," said Loris De Filippi, the operations coordinator for Doctors Without Borders Belgium in Ethiopia.

SIGN UP

The agency said Prime Minister Meles Zenawi hadn't responded to its appeals for access. A spokesman for the Ethiopian government, Zemedkun Tekle, rejected the charges Tuesday. "No organization has been blocked from having access to that area," he said.

There was no immediate reaction from the United States, which sees Ethiopia as a key partner against terrorism in the Horn of Africa. Last December, with support from American military and intelligence, Ethiopia invaded neighboring Somalia and toppled a fundamentalist Islamic regime that Bush administration officials had linked to al Qaida.

The relief agency's claims, along with those of other international groups, suggest that Ethiopia's domestic military campaign is endangering civilians in an impoverished region that's prone to food shortages and disease even in times of peace.

Ethiopian authorities who barred one Doctors Without Borders team from entering a section of the Ogaden outside the town of Fiq last month said that it was for the team's own safety, De Filippi said.

The authorities gave an ominous warning:

"They said, 'We'll finish the operations and then you can go,' " De Filippi said. "And we said humanitarian aid is not about bringing flowers (to) the graves afterward."

In the vast area of about 4 million people, mainly ethnic Somali nomads, separatist groups have long agitated for greater autonomy from the government in Addis Ababa. Tensions flared in April, when the leading rebel group, the Ogaden National Liberation Front, attacked a Chinese-run oil installation and killed 74 people.

Since then, Ethiopian forces have stepped up their counterinsurgency campaign. In July, Human Rights Watch accused the security forces of displacing thousands of civilians, destroying villages and blocking commercial and humanitarian vehicles from some areas.

Later that month, Ethiopia expelled the Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross from the Ogaden, accusing its workers of aiding the rebels.

With journalists effectively barred from the Ogaden, the claims are impossible to verify. A United Nations team is in the region to assess the humanitarian situation, but it's unclear whether it will be allowed into the hardest-hit areas.

Most aid agencies, including Doctors Without Borders, have been reluctant to speak about the crisis publicly for fear of jeopardizing their missions. But the doctors who broke the silence Tuesday said conditions in some corners were deteriorating rapidly.

Fieke Felix, a doctor from the Netherlands who worked in the far eastern town of Warder, near the border with Somalia, said rates of malnutrition were rising in late July, when her team evacuated because of security concerns.

Speaking by phone from the Netherlands, Felix said food shortages had worsened in Warder between April and July as Ethiopian troops boarded some commercial trucks and confiscated goods. Food prices tripled and commercial activity came to a standstill, Felix said.

Doctors Without Borders treated patients for gunshot wounds and beatings that some blamed on the Ethiopian troops who've made Warder a garrison town, Felix said. Malnutrition and diseases such as measles also were rising.

"They live in great fear," Felix said.

Eileen Skinnider, who also worked in Warder, said via an Internet link from Canada that she'd witnessed Ethiopian troops chasing women and children away from a well as they tried to collect water recently.

Several villages in the area had been burned and deserted by all but the elderly and ill, Skinnider said. Many had fled into the bush and requested that Doctors Without Borders treat them there, where they wouldn't be seen. When agency vehicles approached one village, residents hid in fear until they saw that the cars weren't carrying security forces.

"They told us they were afraid that if they were still found in their village, their village would be burned," Skinnider said.

In Fiq, about 250 miles to the west, local officials told a Doctors Without Borders team in July that no medical supplies had been delivered in six months. The risk of childbirth injuries has risen because women who need Caesarean sections are afraid to travel to faraway towns for care, De Filippi said.

"Mother and child will die because they don't have the possibility to move in the areas," he said.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

As Cornyn exits Senate leadership, Texas is shut out of its own border talks

January 03, 2019 05:21 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story