McClatchy DC Logo

Chilean ex-general imprisoned for ordering '87 massacre | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Chilean ex-general imprisoned for ordering '87 massacre

Helen Hughes and Jack Chang - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 28, 2007 07:23 PM

SANTIAGO, Chile — A former Army general who headed Chile's secret police in the late 1980s was sent to prison for life Tuesday for ordering the executions of 12 leftist guerrillas during the waning years of the Pinochet military dictatorship.

Retired Gen. Hugo Salas Wenzel had argued that he had no role in the June 15-16, 1987, killings known here as the Corpus Christi Massacre. The country's Supreme Court, however, unanimously upheld a lower court conviction on the homicide charges as well as the court's sentence of life.

Salas Wenzel, who had headed the country's National Intelligence Center, became the first general to receive a life sentence in human rights prosecutions of former military leaders. The court also sentenced 14 others, including former Army Maj. Alvaro Corbalan, to shorter prison terms for their roles in the killings,

Lawyer Nelson Caucoto, representing victims' relatives, said Tuesday's decision was historic because it punished commanding officers and not just their underlings for the crimes of Army Gen. Augusto Pinochet's 1973-1990 regime.

SIGN UP

According to official figures, Pinochet's government was responsible for the politically motivated killings or disappearances of 3,197 people and the imprisonment and torture of tens of thousand more.

Prosecution of the 1987 killings was held up for years in military tribunals before reaching the civilian courts, Caucoto said.

"This ends in a successful way a long struggle of 20 years," Caucoto said. "It shows that when we're serious about investigating and bringing people to justice, we can do it."

The executions, which were part of a government anti-subversion campaign known as Operation Albania, constituted one of the bloodiest episodes of the last years of Pinochet's regime and a response to a failed 1986 assassination attempt against the dictator.

Military officials long insisted that the 12 members of the guerrilla group, the Manuel Rodriguez Patriotic Front, had died in an exchange of gunfire with soldiers. The regime even invited reporters to a house in the capital of Santiago where the bodies of seven of the guerrillas were arranged, along with a planted grenade, to appear as if a shootout had taken place.

Past decisions by civilian and military courts had supported that account of the killings. New testimony and evidence, however, discredited the government's account, said Patricia Silva, the older sister of Ricardo Silva, who died in the 1987 killings.

The decision is the latest in a wave of convictions of former military leaders handed down since Pinochet's death last December.

In June, another retired general, Raul Iturriaga Neumann, was sentenced to five years in prison for overseeing a clandestine jail and torture center. He escaped but was caught earlier this month.

(Hughes is a McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent. Chang reported from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.)

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story