McClatchy DC Logo

Despite U.S. military surge, car bombings stay at same levels | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Despite U.S. military surge, car bombings stay at same levels

Mike Drummond and Mohammed al Dulaimy - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 09, 2007 06:36 PM

BAGHDAD — Despite the high priority set by U.S.-led coalition forces to stem car bombings, the tactic remains one of the main killers of civilians in Iraq, according to figures compiled by McClatchy Newspapers.

The tactic took on a horrifying new dimension this past weekend when about 170 Iraqis were killed in five car bombs — as many as 155 of them when a produce truck laden with explosives leveled houses and shredded bodies in Armili, about 100 miles north of the capital.

Six more civilians were killed in three separate attacks in Baghdad Monday.

In Iraq, unwary motorists can be driving car bombs. Auto mechanics have been known to plant bombs in vehicles they're fixing, and phony checkpoints sometimes serve as ersatz car-bomb shops. Prudent drivers check under their cars after leaving them in public places.

SIGN UP

Sermed, 36, a father of two who didn't want his last name published because of security concerns, recalled encountering a checkpoint along Karrada Kharij Street in a part of Baghdad contested by different Shiite groups. He saw a guard kneel and place something under the car being searched in front of him.

When it was his turn, he said he got out to open his trunk "as a courtesy" and kept an eye on the guards as they searched.

Minutes after clearing the checkpoint, "my conscience started bugging me about what I saw," he said. "What should I do?"

He pulled alongside the driver of the car that was ahead of his at the checkpoint and suggested he inspect his car. "Indeed," Sermed said, "there was an (improvised explosive device) attached to it."

Bystanders hurried back to the checkpoint to alert the guards. By then, Sermed said, the checkpoint was gone.

According to records compiled by McClatchy, there seems to be no appreciable decline in car bombings. The number of such attacks during the first week of July was consistent with those of previous months. In the first week of each month from January through June, the number of car bombs averaged 10. There were 11 last week.

The first week of February saw the largest number of car-bomb casualties, when 175 were killed. In the first week of this month, 170 people were killed in car bombings, almost all of them in the Armili bombing.

Overall civilian deaths dropped significantly in June, when a four-day curfew was in effect.

While most of last weekend's car bombings occurred in Baghdad, U.S. and Iraqi officials have pointed to the Armili truck bomb as an indication that insurgents are striking where U.S. and coalition forces are largely absent. Until Saturday, Armili, a farming village of Shiite Turkmens, had been spared the kind of carnage seen in most parts of Iraq.

"When insurgents are captured or killed in one area, they will try to move their operations and activities to another just to show they are still in business by killing more innocent people, as you saw in Armili," Hoshyar Zebari, Iraq's foreign minister, said at a news conference Monday.

"But this shows in military terms that they are on the run."

Starting June 19, when the U.S. military launched major offensives primarily in provinces surrounding Baghdad, it has issued 24 press releases citing 46 raids and arrests related to car-bomb operations. Many of those were in and around Baghdad, but also included finds in cities and towns in eastern Diyala Province, as well as in Tikrit and Mosul, north of the capital.

Military officials repeatedly have said that every car-bomb factory raided and dismantled means fewer car bombs that insurgents can use to kill civilians.

"We expect during the surge there's going to be an increase in car bombs," Lt. Col. Dan Williams said Monday. "The enemy has a vote, and he's going to fight back.

"The surge is just now getting into place," he added. "It's too early to say if we need more troops. We need more time."

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story