McClatchy DC Logo

Foreign-born doctors may have been involved in British terror plot | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Foreign-born doctors may have been involved in British terror plot

Matthew Schofield - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 02, 2007 08:00 PM

LONDON — Police on Monday announced another arrest in last weekend's foiled triple car bombing attempts in London and Glasgow, Scotland, bringing the number of people arrested to eight, five of whom may be medical personnel, according to British media reports.

The latest arrest, apparently in Brisbane, Australia, came as police exploded two suspect vehicles at a hospital in Paisley, outside Glasgow, where one suspect is reported to have been employed and another is being treated for injuries from one of the failed attacks. Two other suspects were arrested at the same location Sunday.

Police identified one of the men in the flaming Jeep Cherokee that rammed into the check-in entrance at Glasgow Airport on Saturday as Bilal Abdulla, an Iraqi with medical training from Baghdad University who arrived in the United Kingdom last August. He had been working at the Royal Alexandria Hospital, about six miles from the airport.

And a man arrested Saturday night on the M6 highway in Cheshire in northwest England is reportedly Mohammed Asha, a Palestinian from Jordan. Asha, a neurologist working at a North Staffordshire hospital, had recently renewed his registration to work here through spring 2008.

SIGN UP

In that arrest, three unmarked police cars blocked the road in front of the suspect, and more than a dozen unmarked police cars closed in from behind and sealed off the area from other motorists.

Two other men were arrested in hospital residences.

British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, who is in charge of police, told the House of Commons on Monday that police had searched 19 locations across England and Scotland looking for clues to the failed attacks. British commuters saw a heavy police presence on the streets, in the subway system and at train stations and airports.

The latest arrests revealed a new side to terror in Europe, for those detained were apparently highly educated foreign-trained medical personnel, all of whom could easily obtain visas due to the shortage of doctors in Britain and other countries. They appeared to be a very different breed from the self-taught terrorists who were charged with attacks in Britain during the previous two summers.

European terror experts said the information available so far indicates that the three assaults, which were intended to kill hundreds, may be the work of a terror cell that arrived in London during the last couple years.

"This is still too early to know anything, but right now it looks as if we may have a terror cell that arrived with the intent to carry out an attack and waited just over a year to become active," said Dick Leurdijk, a terrorism expert at the Dutch Clingendael Institute. "This does not look homegrown or self-radicalized."

Since the July 7, 2005, attacks on London's subway and bus system, the working assumption of most police forces has been that al Qaida inspires but doesn't dictate terror attacks around Europe.

Gordon Brown, Britain's new Labor prime minister, said Sunday that those responsible for the most recent plots were "people who are associated with al Qaida."

But in Washington, several U.S. counterterrorism officials said questions remained about how deeply — if at all — al Qaida might have been involved.

The officials requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

"Is there any evidence pointing to links with al Qaida senior leadership? Not at this point," said one of the officials. "The nature and extent of the links is a matter that is being pursued."

The U.S. counterterrorism officials said that al Qaida remains determined to commit major attacks in Europe and the United States, and that the alleged plotters could have been inspired by the terrorist group or other militant organizations motivated by Osama bin Laden's violent Islamic ideology.

But the attempted car bombings in London and the ramming of the flame-engulfed Jeep Cherokee into the doors of Glasgow airport lacked some hallmarks of past al Qaida operations, they said, including professionalism in execution, and they wouldn't have caused mass casualties.

But Paul Wilkinson, chairman of St. Andrew's University Center for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence, said the fact that doctors were involved pointed to al Qaida. That doctors may have carried out the assaults "was "not only not surprising, it's highly likely that an organization as large as al Qaida would count medically qualified people among its ranks," he said. "They would be heavily recruited and highly valued."

(Jonathan S. Landay contributed.)

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story