McClatchy DC Logo

Car bombings kill dozens in Baghdad, ending lull | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Car bombings kill dozens in Baghdad, ending lull

Mike Drummond - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 28, 2007 04:00 PM

BAGHDAD — A spate of four car bombs that struck various parts of Baghdad within a 24-hour period Wednesday and Thursday seemed to mark an end to what had been a lull in such attacks.

The most spectacular of the blasts struck a crowded bus terminal in the Bayaa neighborhood during the morning rush hour Thursday. At least 25 people were killed, most of them waiting for rides to work. About 40 minibuses were incinerated, police reported.

It was just one in a series of explosions that began Wednesday afternoon when a suicide car bomb exploded at an police checkpoint on the western side of al Jadiriyah Bridge in the capital, killing one police officer and injuring six people, including three civilians.

Another car bomb exploded late Wednesday in the Khadamiya neighborhood, killing at least 14 people, followed by Thursday morning's blast.

SIGN UP

The fourth bomb exploded during lunchtime in the Mansour neighborhood, killing four.

The U.S. military has said recently that stopping car bombs is a major reason for its military campaigns in areas outside Baghdad, where American troops claim to have dismantled 10 car-bomb "factories" this year, including three this month.

Whether those actions are responsible for a precipitous drop in car bombings in the capital this month is unclear. The Iraqi government declared a four-day curfew earlier this month that banned traffic in the capital after unknown assailants blew up two minarets at a Shiite Muslim shrine in the town of Samarra, 65 miles north of Baghdad. That curfew may have been a factor in the decline.

Data that McClatchy Newspapers gathered show that as of midday Thursday, 17 car bombs have exploded in the capital this month, a drop from February's peak of 45. From December through May, car bombings in Baghdad averaged 36 a month, according to the data, which McClatchy collects from Iraqi officials and independent sources.

U.S. officials hail the dismantling of car-bomb factories, but aren't declaring victory.

"Every one we pull down is one that's not going to hit someone," spokesman Lt. Col. Christopher Garver told McClatchy on Wednesday. "I wouldn't want to start claiming, 'Hey, we got them all,' and then five go off in one day," he added. "We're realistic in our progress. We're cautiously optimistic."

In all, at least 36 people died in violence Thursday in the capital, including three when mortar rounds struck the popular Shorja market area in central Baghdad.

Mortar rounds struck at least six other neighborhoods during the day, the most serious of which killed four civilians in the al Fadhl neighborhood, police said. One round fell in the heavily fortified Green Zone, but no casualties were reported.

In addition, police found 15 unidentified bodies on Baghdad streets.

Interior Ministry officials dismissed news reports that 20 headless bodies had been found near Salman Pak south of Baghdad. The report, distributed by the Associated Press, cited two unidentified police sources.

(Drummond reports for The Charlotte Observer.)

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story