McClatchy DC Logo

North Korean deposits moved from Macau bank (6/14/07) | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

North Korean deposits moved from Macau bank (6/14/07)

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 14, 2007 07:15 PM

HONG KONG - A financial dispute that's stalled a nuclear disarmament deal with North Korea showed signs of easing Thursday as authorities in the gambling haven of Macau began returning funds to the North that were frozen for nearly two years at Washington's demand.

Macau's financial secretary, Francis Tam, said the bulk of North Korea's frozen funds at Banco Delta Asia, a Macau bank that's blacklisted by the U.S. Treasury Department, had been moved out of the country.

The U.S. Treasury Department contends that the North Korean deposits were largely the result of weapons trafficking and international criminal activity, including the sale of narcotics and counterfeiting of U.S. currency.

"According to government information, Banco Delta Asia transferred more than $20 million out of the bank this afternoon in accordance with the client's instruction," Tam told reporters in Macau.

SIGN UP

Tam didn't say where the money had been transferred, but it appeared that the funds were taking a circuitous route back to North Korean hands and ending a stalemate that has blocked progress on a North Korea nuclear agreement that was reached on Feb. 13.

The six-nation deal requires North Korea to suspend all nuclear activity and accept inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency in return for economic and political incentives, including heavy fuel oil. China has acted as host since 2003 of the talks among the United States, North and South Korea, Japan and Russia.

The return of the North Korean funds dramatically improves the chances of getting the nuclear agreement back on track. North Korea has demanded its Macau deposits back and refused to suspend operations at its Yongbyon nuclear facility or to take other steps toward halting its nuclear program.

North Korea tested a nuclear device last October, sending shivers through much of East Asia.

South Korea's semi-official Yonhap news agency said the North Korean funds were to be wired to the New York branch of the U.S. Federal Reserve, then to the Russian Central Bank and finally to a North Korean account at an unidentified Russian bank.

Russia said Wednesday that it would help return the money to North Korea as long as it had guarantees that it wouldn't be punished under U.S. banking laws.

An independent Moscow radio station, Ekho Moskvy, said the funds were likely headed to the Dalnevostochniy Bank in Russia's Far East, which borders North Korea. The bank declined to confirm the report, the radio station said.

The banking dispute at first appeared tangential to the nuclear talks. But as a 60-day deadline passed in mid-April, it became a major obstacle to progress toward ending North Korea's pursuit of nuclear weapons.

Banks around the world balked at acting as a conduit for the North Korean money, fearing that the U.S. would close off their own access to global financial markets.

Christopher Hill, the chief U.S. envoy to the nuclear talks, said Wednesday that U.S. officials had been "in very close contact" with North Korea this week on the matter.

"I can go out on a limb and say I'm hopeful that we will have some news for you very soon on this," said Hill, who'll visit Seoul, Tokyo and Beijing next week.

The Bush administration, apparently suffering some internal divisions over how to deal with North Korea, could face a congressional backlash over letting the North Korean funds return.

Six House Republicans, led by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida, sent a letter Tuesday to the Government Accountability Office asking whether the return of the money is consistent with U.S. anti-money laundering and counterfeiting laws.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story