The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondents in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. It’s posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchy’s Washington Bureau.
- Around 12 pm, a mortar shelling hit Zayouna neighborhood (east Baghdad) without casualties recorded.
- Around 12 .15 pm, a mortar shelling hit New Baghdad neighborhood (east Baghdad) near Farasha bakery injuring 3 people .
- Around 2 pm, a mosque in Zayouna neighborhood ( east Baghdad) had been bombed without casualties recorded as it was empty .
- Around12.30 pm, a roadside bomb targeted an army patrol at Taji ( north of Baghdad) killing one soldier and injuring 4 others.
- The following incidents took place between 3 pm till 8 pm : * Mortars hit Turath neighborhood ( south Baghdad) killing 1 civilian and injuring 6 others. * Mortars hit I'lam neighborhood( south west Baghdad) killing 1 civilian and injuring 2 others. * Mortars hit Saidiya neighborhood ( south Baghdad) killing 1 civilian and injuring another. * Mortars hit Bayaa neighborhood ( south west Baghdad ) without casualties recorded. * Mortars hit Mishahda police station ( north of Bagdad) killing 1 policeman and injuring two others. * Mortars hit Abu Disheer neighborhood ( south Baghdad) killing one civilian and injuring another.
Twenty five dead bodies were found all over Baghdad : 18 dead bodies were found in west Baghdad ( Karkh bank ) ; 5 in Bayaa, 3 in Ghazaliya, 2 in Mansour , 2 in Saidiya , 2 in Mahmoudiya , 2 in Attaifiya .
7 dead bodies were found in east Baghdad ( Risafa bank ) ; 3 in Sadr , 3 in Ur and 2 in Kemb of Raghba Khatoon.
Babil (100 km south of Baghdad)
- Three mosques have been bombed inAl- Iskandariya city ( about 50 km south of Baghdad) after the attack on the Shiite shrines in Samra ,eyewitnesses said while Babil police commander didn't deny nor confirm the news. Salahuudin ( 175 km north of Baghdad)
- Around 9 am, mortar shelling hit Samara shrines ( Imam Hassan Al-Askri and Imam Ali Al-Hadi ) destroying two minarets although it was bombed on February 22nd in 2006 as security sources said . While eyewitnesses confirmed that the attack of today was by bombing from inside not by mortars.Kirkuk ( 255 km north of Baghdad)
Around 10.30 am, Zughaitoun bridge which connect Kirkuk with Tikrit has been bombed and destroyed by putting large amount of TNT explosives beneath the bridge's pillars .This bridge is about 45 km south of Kirkuk. This second bridge which had been bombed after Sarha bridge at Sleiman Beck district which connect Kirkuk with Baghdad which was been bombed on June 2nd.
- At 6.05 pm, a roadside bomb targeted a police patrol at Korneesh street between Hamam Al-Sa'a and A'lwat Al-Ghanam in Kirkuk city injring three policemen and one civilian with damage to the police vehicle.
Diyala (66 km north of Baghdad)
- Around 9 am , a suicide bomber who were disguised by a police uniform made his way inside the head of Mendli police station and bombed himself killing 3 policemen and injuring 5 ( including some civilians who were in the office to have some affairs inside the station. Mendli district is 90 km east of Baquba and about 3 km from the Iranian border.
Basra ( 549 km south of Baghdad)
- Around this day. Four mosques have got shootings and a fifth one had witnessed clashes between Shiite gunmen and the Sunni guards of the mosque killing one guard and injuring two others while one of the gunmen was killed. Those mosques are in different places in Basra ( in Ashar , Maqal , Old Basra and Jazair neighborhoods ) .
- Gunmen executed four persons at Hussein neighborhood ( west Basra) accusing them of killing the barbers in Basra.