McClatchy DC Logo

Missing U.S. soldiers dead, video contends | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Missing U.S. soldiers dead, video contends

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 04, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—An al-Qaida-affiliated group said Monday in a videotape that two missing American soldiers captured last month south of Baghdad had been killed.

But in an unusual tactic for a group that often uses images to prove what it has done, the Islamic State of Iraq offered no evidence to back its claims. Instead, the video showed armed, hooded men allegedly planning the pre-dawn ambush that led to the soldiers' capture and, in the final frames of the 10:41-minute video, some of the soldiers' personal items, including military-issued ID cards, credit cards and a cross.

The group said it killed Spc. Alex R. Jimenez, 25, of Lawrence, Mass., and Pvt. Byron W. Fouty, 19, of Waterford, Mich., because the military didn't heed warnings to end its search for the missing men.

In the video, a man said, "Their end will be underneath the ground, God (Allah) willing," but that their bodies wouldn't be returned to their families because "you refused to deliver the bodies of our killed people," referring to Iraqi civilians.

SIGN UP

U.S. military officials said the search for the missing men would continue. Friends and fellow soldiers said they believe the soldiers are still alive.

"I am still not convinced right now," said Cathy Conger, 49, a Fouty family friend who said she had been watching news reports of the videotape all day in the hopes of more information. "Maybe they said that to get (the military) to back off the search," she said. "Maybe we were getting close."

Fouty, Jimenez and Pfc. Joseph Anzack Jr., 20, of Torrance, Calif., members of the 10th Mountain Division based at Fort Drum, N.Y., were captured when insurgents overran their observation post outside the city of Mahmoudiya in the early morning hours of May 12. Four other U.S. soldiers and an Iraqi interpreter were killed in the attack.

Anzack's body was found May 23 floating in the Euphrates River.

Military officials in both Baghdad and Washington said they had many reasons not to view the tape as proof that the missing men are dead, not the least of which is that it didn't show the men's bodies.

The video was obtained by Washington-based SITE Institute and but wasn't posted on a Web site that commonly carries such insurgent communications.

The tape opens with images of a group of hooded men studying a diagram pinned to a tree as an Arabic-speaking narrator describes why the group killed the soldiers. The narrator later addresses American mothers and wives, telling them their sons have been sent to die for nothing.

Toward the end, the cameraman, filming a burning Humvee, weeps as he calls out to God. The tape ends with a new broadcast from the al-Jazeera satellite channel about the raid and kidnapping. Over the images of Jimenez's and Fouty's ID cards, a headline reads: "Bush is the reason for the loss of your prisoners."

The last time American troops were captured in Iraq was in June 2006, when two soldiers were snatched just south of Baghdad. Days later, their mutilated bodies were discovered covered with booby-traps. It took soldiers 12 hours to remove the traps. An al-Qaida-affiliated group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying: "We announce the good news to our Islamic nation that we executed God's will and slaughtered the two crusader animals we had in captivity."

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story