McClatchy DC Logo

Web site warns U.S. to end search for missing soldiers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Web site warns U.S. to end search for missing soldiers

Scott Canon and Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 14, 2007 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—An al-Qaida-affiliated umbrella group that boasts that it's holding three U.S. soldiers who went missing after an ambush last weekend used an Islamic extremist Web site on Monday to warn that the search for the American troops only puts them in greater peril.

The U.S. military, meanwhile, said it believed that an al-Qaida group was responsible for killing four Americans and one Iraqi soldier on Saturday and for the disappearance of the other three. But it reacted skeptically to the claims on the Web site.

A post purporting to come from the Islamic State in Iraq mocked a televised discussion of the search by Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, comparing it to when he announced the killing of al-Qaida leader Muharib Abdul-Latif al-Jubouri two weeks ago.

"He was showing off that they could kill our sheik," the Web site declared. "Today, you had a catastrophe, because your false propaganda says the American soldier is invincible and cannot be captured."

SIGN UP

A U.S. spokesman, Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, said the statement claiming responsibility "could have come from anybody with access to a Web page."

Coalition forces continued their intense search of Mahmoudiyah and a neighboring town about 20 miles south of Baghdad on Monday. Garver said residents of the area continued to offer tips on the whereabouts of the captured soldiers.

"You then have to research that information to find out if it's true," he said. "But we are continuing to have a dialogue."

The Web message also characterized the bloody attack Saturday as revenge for the rape of a 14-year-old girl and the killing of her family last year. Three U.S. soldiers have pleaded guilty in the case.

"Remember what you have done with our sister ... and what you have done in the land of two rivers by killing, displacing and arresting," the Web site said.

Islamic State in Iraq first claimed responsibility for the attack on Sunday. On Monday it said the subsequent U.S.-led search would only further endanger the men. Two American soldiers who went missing from a checkpoint in the area last year were found killed and their bodies mutilated, while the path to their corpses was booby-trapped.

There were unconfirmed reports that the some of the 4,000-plus troops involved in the search encountered isolated small-arms fire near Youssifiyah, a town encompassed by the manhunt.

Two U.S. soldiers on foot patrol southeast of Baghdad were shot to death in a separate incident Monday, the military said. And a Danish soldier was killed and five others were wounded near Basra in southern Iraq.

In a non-violent but potentially politically loaded incident, three parliament members complained that they were detained while trying to leave the highly fortified Green Zone after a legislative session. The followers of anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr claimed they were kept at a checkpoint in retaliation for their support of legislation to set a timetable for Americans to withdraw from the country.

U.S. forces who control security in the area disputed their account, saying the legislators had tried to enter a car where parking and loading are prohibited for security reasons. Their IDs were requested and immediately returned after they were checked, Garver said.

———

A roundup of violence in Iraq is posted daily at the McClatchy Washington Bureau Web site, www.mcclatchydc.com. Click on Iraq War Coverage.

———

(Canon reports for The Kansas City Star. Hammoudi is a McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent.)

———

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story