McClatchy DC Logo

Shiite cleric killed by mob days after returning to Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Shiite cleric killed by mob days after returning to Iraq

Soraya Sarhaddi Nelson and Meg Laughlin - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 10, 2003 03:00 AM

NAJAF, Iraq—In the holiest mosque in this sacred Islamic city, an angry mob attacked and killed a pro-Western Shiite cleric Thursday, just days after he returned to the war-torn nation from exile in London to help with reconciliation.

Witnesses said Abdul Majid al Khoei was shot, stabbed and hacked to death in the melee. As many as three others also were killed.

While accounts of the killings were murky late Thursday, the mob apparently was angered over who would get to control the Grand Imam Ali Mosque, a shrine to the Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, who was murdered on the site 1,300 years ago in a dispute over the direction of Islam.

Khoei had come to Najaf to help restore order and to assist coalition troops in winning support from residents. The U.S. military had hoped to capitalize on Khoei's intercession and had organized a news media outing to Najaf, ferrying in two helicopters full of reporters. None was present at the killings.

SIGN UP

In an interview with Knight Ridder just two days before his death, Khoei said he and other religious leaders were negotiating a deal to permit Saddam Hussein's loyalists to leave Najaf in return for safe passage out of the city.

"We will liberate the holy shrine," Khoei said. "You will never see any Americans in the whole town. They are staying out."

Dissidents say Khoei's rapid return to Iraq—he had arrived in Najaf eight days earlier after 12 years in exile in London—as well as strong U.S. backing for him sparked criticism from Shiite dissidents who are eager to wield power in the new Iraq.

Khoei, whose age was varyingly given as 38 and 40, was a key aide to Iraq's leading Shiite leader, Ayatollah Ali al Sistani, who last week urged his followers not to hinder U.S. and British forces. He was also the son of Sistani's predecessor.

An official at the charity foundation that Khoei headed in London said the cleric was helping U.S.-led forces restore order to Najaf. "He wasn't supposed to play an official role, but his duty was to keep the calmness and peace within the community," said the official, Fadhel Milani.

A meeting at the shrine turned violent shortly after Khoei arrived.

The following is an account from witnesses, family and official sources:

On Thursday morning, Khoei and his aides went to the shrine to talk with leading mullahs, or religious teachers, about future control of the shrine, which had been supervised by Haider Roafee, a custodian appointed by Saddam, said Khoei's nephew, Jawad al Khoei, who lives in Iran's holy city of Qom.

Roafee was widely disliked because he was a member of Saddam's Ministry of Religion. But Khoei supported Roafee, arguing that his service to Saddam had been under duress.

Khoei and his aides had just gone into Roafee's office when a small group of Iraqis came into the shrine, chanting the name of an ayatollah murdered by Saddam's regime. The crowd soon swelled to between 200 and 300 people.

Once Khoei and Roafee came out of the office, shots were fired.

According to his nephew, Khoei was shot several times. Roafee was stabbed to death, as were two of Khoei's aides.

The mob then dragged Khoei, still alive, outside to a nearby shop, where they cut off several of his fingers and stabbed him to death, the nephew said.

"My uncle said he knew there was some possibility that he might be killed," the younger Khoei recalled.

In London, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw expressed sadness over the murder.

Khoei "had huge expectations about the future for the Shia people in Iraq post-Saddam and for Muslim people," Straw said. "I'm sure his vision for them will be realized. It is an appalling tragedy he has been killed before he can take part in that process."

In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher issued a statement: "We're deeply saddened to see this death. It's a reminder that Iraq is still dangerous in many places and a reminder of how important it is for all of us to create a situation where Iraqis can express themselves freely, where all points of view can be expressed freely and without intimidation or violence."

———

(Nelson reported from Tehran, Iran; Laughlin from Najaf, Iraq. Knight Ridder Newspapers correspondent Fawn Vrazo contributed to this report from London.)

———

(c) 2003, Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services.

Iraq

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story