The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Sahar Issa in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Itís posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchyís Washington Bureau.
- Around 5 p.m. gunmen killed 2 civilians and injured one in a drive by shooting in Al Dora neighborhood.
- Around 5:30 p.m. a road side bomb exploded in Al Zafaraniya targeting Iraqi police vehicle. The blast claimed the life of one police man.
- Around 6 p.m. a mortar shell landed in AL Shurta Al Khamisa neighborhood. Five residents were injured.
- Police found 25 corpses throughout Baghdad the corpses were found in the following neighborhoods of Baghdad:
3 corpses in New Baghdad, 2 corpses in Shaab, 1 in Jisr Diyala, 1 in Raghiba Khatoun, 2 in Al Jumhoriya street, 1 in Sileikh, 2 in Hussainiya, 1 in Sadr, 1 in Rashad, 1 Latifia, 4 in Yarmouk, 1 in Sheikh Maarouf, 1 in Jihad, 2 in Amil, 2 in Dora.
-5 inmates of Shi'aiba Prison are injured. Fighting in Shi'aiba Prison between the inmates and the guards. The prison facility is under the control of the British Forces.
"Fighting broke out between the inmates and the guards in Shi'aiba prison, 40 km to the west of Basra City, yesterday. The inmates torched the tents and the fighting began." Said Hakeem Al-Mayahi, Member of the Governorate Council, Head of the Security Committee. He holds the British Forces responsible for the crisis. The detainees in this facility have been detained for long periods without having been formally accused of wrong doing, their cases have not been looked into, neither have they been refered to the Iraqi Judicial System.
Most the detainees are from the City of Basra, the southern parts in particular, supposedly detained for having committed armed offences against the British Forces. There are more than 120 detainee; 11 had escaped one week ago.
-A women's rights activist killed. Tuhfa Al-Bachari, was assassinated in her home, in Al-Jem'iyat neighborhood, 7 km west of Basra City centre, yesterday. She is sister of Belsem Al-Bechari, Member of the Governorate Council of Basra, and was head of a women's organization
- Clashes today between the supporters of Fadhila Islamic party and the Mahdi army started today. Two building of Fadhila party were burned. One was killed and 4 were injured from the Sadrists. Three wee injured from the Fadhila party. The two entities hold captives.