The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Sahar Issa in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Itís posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchyís Washington Bureau.
- Around 08:30 am : American Forces cordon the neighborhood of Al-Fadhl, central Baghdad, and confrontations with the armed groups continue until this hour. The Forces are using ground and air attack to control the situation. So far no statements have been made by either the Iraqi Army or the US spokesman in reference to this incident. According to an eyewitness, one American reconnaissance aircraft was shot down, one Iraqi Serviceman killed and four injured. No formal statement of the casualties has yet been made.
- Around 02:15 pm: A car bomb explodes in the Jadriya junction, south Baghdad, near the entrance of Baghdad University, killing 5 civilians and injuring 11 others.
- Around 02:30: Mortar falls on an intermediate school for boys in Palestine Street, east Baghdad, killing one student and injuring ten.
- Around 4 p.m. a mortar shell landed in Baia neighborhood (west Baghdad). Three residents were injured.
- Around 5 p.m. a mortar shell targeted Al Rashad neighborhood killing one resident and injuring one.
- Police found 9 dead bodies throughout the capital in the following neighborhoods: 1 in Hurriya, 2 in Amil, 1 in Baia, 2 in Sileikh, 1 in Mansour, 1 in Yarmouk, 1 in Saidiyah.
Around 08:30 am: A woman wearing an Abaíand carrying plastic bags walks into the recruiting post for the Police Force in Muqdadiya, 90km to the north east of Baghdad, and mingles with the applicants only to explode an IED she was carrying. Casualties, 14 killed and 23 injured.
An armed group targets one serviceman of the Second Brigade of the Iraqi Army that is deployed in Kirkuk, at around 08:00 am this morning. The group was riding a black Opal ñ Vectra without license plates. The serviceman was shot while driving his car to work.