The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Laith Hammoudi in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Itís posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchyís Washington Bureau.
- An American soldier was killed and a Humvee vehicle was burnt in an IED explosion targeting an American convoy under Jadriyah bridge downtown Baghdad arround 8,30 early morning today.
- 4 civilians were injured in an IED explosion inside a minibus near Mishin complex south Baghdad around 9,00am today.
- A civilian was injured when a mortar rounds fell in Zafaraniyah neighborhood south east Baghdad around 9,30 am.
- 2 policemen were injured when gunmen opened their guns fire targeting police patrols in Mahdiya area, a part of Doura neighborhood south Baghdad at 9,55 am.
- 5 civilians were killed and 21 were wounded in a parked car bomb explosion targeted the civilians behind Bab Al Sheikh police station in Sheikh Omar neighborhood downtown Baghdad around 11,00 am.
- 2 civilians were killed and 5 others were injured in a car bomb explosion near 14th of July bridge (suspension bridge) in Karrada neighborhood downtown Baghdad around 12 pm. The explosion happened near one of the gates of the international zone known as the Green Zone. The American forces closed the area directly after the incident.
- 1 civilian was killed and 3 others wounded in a parked car explosion targeted the civilians near Al Obeidi mosque in Al Obeidi neighborhood east Baghdad around 2,45 pm. Security forces blocked the road when they suspected another car bomb is parked. The car bomb exploded at the same time but no casualties recorded.
- 6 civilians were killed and 15 were wounded in mortar shelling targeted Abu Disheer neighborhood around 5:15 p.m.
- A motorcycle bomb exploded in Al Madaen southeast of Baghdad around 6 p.m. No causalities were reported.
- Iraqi police found 32 dead bodies throughout Baghdad today. One corpse was found on the eastern side of Baghdad (Risafa) and the other 31 corpses were found on the western side of Baghdad (Karkh). The following is the number of corpses found per neighborhood.
5 in Doura, 5 in Amil, 3 in Shurta Rabiaa, 3 in Baia, 3 in Saidiya, 2 in Adil, 2 in Hurriya, 2 in Ghazaliya, 2 in Shuala, 4 in Yarmouk and 1 in Sileikh.
- Gunmen attacked several civilian sedan cars in Bani Saad area today afternoon. The gunmen used medium and machineguns. Ten civilians were injured.
- A police source said police killed 4 gunmen today. The clash started when number of gunmen attacked police of Al Hamdaniya police department. One of the gunmen bombed his car bomb before it reach its target and another bombed him self in order not to be captured. One of the attackers was detained and the others fled the place. As a result of the clash one civilian was killed and two were injured and 2 police men were also injured.
- On Monday night Samara gunmen attacked a police checkpoint at the main entrance of the city. Police managed to kill one of the attackers who was identified as a Saudi citizen. One policeman was killed and two were injured.
- A police LC and several members of the police force of Al Shirqat town (120 km north of Tikrit) were injured when a road side bomb targeted them today.
- Police found two corpses in Al Touz town (110 km north east of Tikrit) today morning. The two corpses were identified as two brothers and carried multiple gunshots.
- Gunmen kidnapped two truck drivers were carrying food on the main road near Akreesh village (30 Km east of Tikrit). Police started a search campaign without finding the kidnapped persons. The two trucks that were left were handed to the governmental food warehouses in Tikrit to keep.
- A police source in Tikrit police department said today that the U.S. troops released 16 detainees today and handed them to the police department in the city around 11 this morning. All the released detainees are from the Salah Al Deen province.
- According to a statement released today by the Iraqi police in Kirkuk province north Iraq, 9 civilians were injured last night around 8 pm when a car bomb exploded near Al Huda girlsí high school.