The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Mohammed al Dulaimy in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Itís posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchyís Washington Bureau.
- Around 9:00 a.m. an explosive charge exploded targeting Iraqi police vehicle in Al Kasra area (north Baghdad). The blast killed 4 policemen and injured 2 civilians.
- Around 10:00 a.m. 1 mortar round targeted Al Salihia (central Baghdad) buildings not far away from the green zone. 1 woman was killed and 3 children were injured. Around the same time another mortar round fell near the Iranian embassy, 1 Iraqi civilian was killed and 4 injured.
- Around 10:30 a.m. gunmen attacked 5 employees of the ministry of labour and social affairs near Sadr city (east Baghdad). The employees were riding a BMW sedan and the attack happened on Al Qanat highway. The attack claimed the lives of 2 and injured 3.
- Around 11:30 a.m. a homemade bomb exploded inside a bus in the busy bus-station of Bab Al Muadham (north east). The blast claimed the lives of 4 Iraqis and injured 7.
- Around midday gunmen using machine guns attacked and killed two employees of Al Atheer cell phones company in Al Mansour neighborhood (west Baghdad ). - Around 1 p.m. an IED exploded in Karada neighborhood ñ Al Nidhal St. targeting civilians. 3 passing by civilians were injured.
- Around 2:00 p.m. A parking car bomb exploded near Al Sumoud gas factory in Al Dora neighborhood (south Baghdad ). The blast claimed the lives of 2 civilians and injured 7.
- Around 2:30 p.m. clashes started between gunmen and the residents of Al Amel neighborhood (west Baghdad). The clashes claimed the lives of 7 citizens and 11 injured.
- Around 2:30 p.m. clashes between Iraqi security forces and gunmen started few meters away from the heavily protected Green Zone. Iraqi ministry of interior said in earlier reports that gunmen were trying to storm the nearby governmental passports directorate and kidnap the employees. The guards evacuated the employees and an Iraqi police officer at the scene said 2 employees were kidnapped. Other police officers said the clashes were not due to gunmen attack but between the guards of the Iraqi parliament (wearing civilian clothes) and the Iraqi army. The clashes were few meters from the gate that journalists use to enter or leave the green zone to cover the news.
One woman journalist of the Iraqi Media Network, Suhad Ibraheem, was killed as she was waiting outside and other 2 civilians were injured.
- Around 6:30 p.m. mortar rounds targeted Al Aadhamiya neighborhood. The shelling claimed the lives of 15 residents and injured 56. - Police found 35 dead bodies allover Baghdad . The bodies carried multiple gunshots and signs of torture. The following is the detailed locations where the bodies were found in the capital:
Yarmouk 3, Saidiya 1, Al Jihad 2, the fourth Shurta 1, Hurriya 3, Mansour 6, Al Amel 3, Shuala 3, Abu Disheer 1, Baiaa 1, Ghazaliya 1, Dora 1, Salhia 1, Zafarniya 2, Madaen 1, Shaab 2 and Sadr 3.
Basra Around midday gunmen killed one of the Mahdi army leaders Sheikh Khalel Al Maliki as he was heading to his home. The gunmen were using a modern sedan.
- After midday a car bomb exploded in Al Khalis city (55 km northwest of Baghdad ). The parked car bomb targeted policemen not far away from a governmental healthcare center. The blast claimed the lives of 5 and injured 20. In a separated incident a motorcycle bomb exploded in Kanaan town causing injuries for 5 civilians.
- Baqouba police said Khaniqeen police dept detained an Iranian citizen carrying heroine. The Iranian man was heading to Baghdad and entered the country from a legal entrance at the north. Earlier today Sulaimaniya police detained an Iranian man with several Iraqi citizens. Police sources said the Iranian man detained in Diyala might be connected to the other detainee in Sulaimaniya.
- Police found one unidentified dead body in Muqdadia (45 Km northeast of Baqouba).
- A police source of Baqouba police dept. said last night gunmen bombed two governmental buildings in the city after taking the weapons from the guards. The first building was the ministry of education workshop in the city and the second was the fire department of Baqouba.