McClatchy DC Logo

Female service members say they face retribution for reporting sexual assaults | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Female service members say they face retribution for reporting sexual assaults

By James Rosen - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 01, 2015 06:41 PM

Two-thirds of women in the military who reported they’d been sexually assaulted endure professional retaliation or other social ostracism, Pentagon’ leaders said Friday.

In releasing an annual study required by Congress on sexual harassment and assault within the ranks, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said combating the problem had proven difficult.

“We’re not making enough progress in countering retaliation,” Carter said at a Pentagon briefing. “Too many service members feel that when they report or try to stop these crimes, they’re being ostracized or retaliated against in some way.”

Carter said he was issuing a directive for his top military and civilian advisers to devise a strategy for protecting service members who report unwanted sexual contact.

SIGN UP

About 22 percent of female service members and 7 percent of male service members experienced some form of sexual harassment last year, ranging from crude jokes to assaults, according to the report.

“That’s abhorrent, and it has to stop,” Carter said.

Carter declined to answer reporters’ questions, but his deputies were at pains to explain what, on the surface at least, appeared to be a contradiction in the study’s central findings: While the number of reported sexual assaults increased in 2014 for the fourth straight year, to 6,131, a survey of troops done in an effort to capture information on unreported sexual assaults suggested that assaults overall had declined.

“We continue to see an unprecedented increase in the reporting of sexual assault from victims, which suggests growing confidence in the department’s response system, and estimates indicate overall occurrences of the crime have decreased since 2012,” said Brad Carson, acting defense undersecretary for personnel and readiness.

Pentagon officials said that extrapolations from the survey of 560,000 active duty and reserve service members set the total number of sexual assaults at 20,300 in 2014. The Pentagon made no such extrapolation last year, but the number of sexual assaults actually reported in 2013 was 5,518.

Forty percent of the women who reported they’d been sexually assaulted in 2014 said they’d also suffered professional retaliation because they’d reported the crime, according to a summary of the report. It did not break down the form of retaliation.

Another 26 percent of women said they felt they had been ostracized by their fellow soldiers because they had reported the crime, the summary said.

The Pentagon has been grappling with the problem of military sexual assault for decades, going back at least 1991, when Navy and Marine Corps aviation officers were alleged to have sexually assaulted 83 women and seven men at a Las Vegas convention in what became known as the Tailhook scandal.

In an effort to counter the problem, military leaders in recent years have punished senior commanders for covering up sex crimes.

Army Secretary John M. McHugh last August demoted a general and forced him to retire over his response to a sexual assault complaint against one of his officers. Maj. Gen. Michael T. Harrison, former commander of Army troops in Japan, was demoted to brigadier general before his retirement.

Nathan Galbreath, senior executive adviser in the Pentagon’s sexual assault prevention office, said the Pentagon believes that victims are more likely to report a sexual assault than they were previously. He said the Pentagon’s surveys suggest that one in four victims is now reporting the crimes, up from one in 10 in 2007, when he joined the office.

“Even with the increase in reporting, though . . . sexual assault remains under-reported, and we encourage any service member who’s experienced a sexual assault to choose a reporting option that’s right for them, to make a report and get the help that they need,” Galreath said.

Among several reasons Galbreath cited for the increased reporting, he said service members can now file “restricted reporting” that enables them to tell superiors about alleged sexual assaults without pursuing criminal prosecution.

Commanders also are now asking those who file reports whether they have experienced retaliation or ostracism, including disparaging social media posts, Galbreath said.

In more than three-quarters of the reported cases, disciplinary action was taken against perpetrators, in most cases including military criminal prosecution.

The Pentagon has set up a toll-free anonymous hotline -- 877-995-5247 -- for anyone who feels they have been the victim of sexual assault by a service member.

Women are five times more likely than men to be sexually assaulted, but the number of male victims is about the same as female victims because 1 million of the nation’s 1.2 million service members are men. About 1 percent of men in the military said they were victims of sexually assault, while 5 percent of woman said so.

“Men that have experienced a sexual assault are more likely than women to describe the event as hazing and nonsexual,” Galbreath said.

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story