McClatchy DC Logo

FBI links North Korea to devastating Sony hack | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

FBI links North Korea to devastating Sony hack

By Michael Doyle - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 19, 2014 12:05 PM

The FBI on Friday formally linked North Korea’s government to the devastating hack into Sony Picture Entertainment’s computer system.

In a statement, the FBI cited technical analysis of the malware as well as similarities to prior attacks associated with North Korea.

“For example, the FBI discovered that several Internet protocol (IP) addresses associated with known North Korean infrastructure communicated with IP addresses that were hardcoded into the data deletion malware used in this attack,” the FBI stated.

The cyber-attack rendered thousands of Sony’s computers inoperable, forced the company to take its entire computer network offline, and significantly disrupted the company’s business operations, law enforcement officials say.

SIGN UP

“Technical analysis of the data deletion malware used in this attack revealed links to other malware that the FBI knows North Korean actors previously developed,” the FBI stated. “For example, there were similarities in specific lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods, and compromised networks.”

The FBI further noted that the Sony attack has similarities to a cyber attack in March of last year against South Korean banks and media outlets, which was carried out by North Korea.

A group calling itself the “Guardians of Peace” claimed responsibility for the attack and subsequently issued threats against Sony, its employees, and theaters that distribute its movies. In response, the company canceled the opening of “The Interview,” a putative comedy about a U.S. plot to assassinate North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un.

“North Korea’s actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves,” the FBI stated. “Such acts of intimidation fall outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior.”

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, in a statement that did not specifically mention North Korea, said Friday that “the cyber attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment was not just an attack against a company and its employees. It was also an attack on our freedom of expression and way of life.”

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story