McClatchy DC Logo

How’s this for counterintuitive? Pentagon hails jump in reported sexual assault cases | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

How’s this for counterintuitive? Pentagon hails jump in reported sexual assault cases

By James Rosen - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 01, 2014 05:03 PM

WASHINGTON The number of reported sexual assaults in the U.S. armed forces jumped by 50 percent last year, with almost three-quarters of the cases prompting military prosecutions.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the figures, contained in a 2013 annual report on sexual assault he released Thursday, show that victims have more faith in the system thanks to protections he’s implemented.

“Sexual assault is a clear threat to the lives and well-being of the women and men who serve our country in uniform,” Hagel told reporters at the White House.

There were 5,061 claims of military sexual assault last year, up from 3,374 in 2012. A decade ago, by contrast, there were fewer than 1,700 such claims.

SIGN UP

Nate Galbreath, senior executive adviser in the Pentagon’s Office of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, said the spike in cases does not reflect more actual instances of assault, but rather entirely greater reporting of such alleged crimes.

Protect Our Defenders, an advocacy group based in Burlingame, Calif., cast doubt on the Pentagon’s assertion that the number of assaults did not increase least year.

“Until the release of DOD’s biannual survey later this year, we will not know the reason for this increase (in reported assaults) -- which could be due to more troops being attacked or (be) a result of the intense public attention to this issue,” said Nancy Parrish, head of the group.

“The DOD has released no evidence to prove its claim that victims have more trust in the existing military justice system or the treatment they have received,” Parrish said.

In a surprising statement, Hagel cited “estimates that men comprise more than half the victims of sexual assault in the military.”

That claim is at odds with a 2012 Pentagon anonymous survey in which 6 percent of women in uniform said they’d experienced some form of “unwanted sexual contact” compared with 1.2 percent of men in uniform.

In actual cases that are prosecuted, the vast majority of victims are women.

Hagel said a far fewer share of male victims than female victims report such attacks. He issued a directive Wednesday aimed at persuading more men in uniform who feel they’ve been a target of sexual assault to inform their commanders of the alleged crimes.

“We have to fight the cultural stigmas that discourage reporting (of attacks) and be clear that sexual assault does not occur because a victim is weak, but rather because an offender disregards our values and the law,” Hagel said.

Hagel issued other directives requiring evaluation of commanders’ training on sexual assault, a review of alcohol policies in the military and sustaining a broader military culture in which predatory sexual advances are not tolerated.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat, said the increased number of sexual-assault victims stepping forward is partially the result of reforms she crafted that became part of last year’s annual defense authorization bill.

“These numbers show concrete progress as our recent sweeping reforms continue to take root and more victims have the confidence in the system to come out of the shadows and report these crimes,” McCaskill, a former sex crimes prosecutor, said in a statement.

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story