McClatchy DC Logo

Syria agrees to probe on chlorine attack claims | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

Syria agrees to probe on chlorine attack claims

by Hannah Allam - McClatchy Interactive

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 29, 2014 09:35 AM

The international monitoring group involved in the removal of Syria's chemical arsenal said Tuesday that a special mission would investigate recent claims that industrial-strength chlorine was used in attacks in the Syrian conflict.

Syrian President Bashar Assad's government has agreed to the probe, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said.

The United States and other powers have complained about Syria's delays in implementing an agreement to rid the country of chemical weapons by June 30. Syria missed a self-imposed deadline Sunday; more than 90 percent of the country's chemical stockpiles has been removed or destroyed, according to U.S. and U.N. officials.

SIGN UP

The chemical removal deal allowed President Barack Obama to hold off on military strikes that he'd planned as punishment for a deadly gas attack outside of Damascus.

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons released a statement announcing the formation of a mission that would depart soon for Syria, where investigators would look into claims that the Syrian regime was releasing chlorine via the "barrel bombs" that have become a hallmark of the war.

Amateur videos released by Syrian activists purport to show victims of such attacks convulsing and suffering shortness of breath.

The Christian Science Monitor published a report this week noting that while chlorine isn't banned outright - like, say, sarin nerve gas - it's still prohibited under a catch-all clause of the Chemical Weapons Convention that Syria signed on to last year. More from the report:

Chlorine gas reacts with moisture in the throat and lungs and turns into hydrochloric acid. In large concentrations it can be lethal. Chlorine gas bombs were used by insurgents in Iraq between 2006 and 2007, although with limited effect, and both the Germans and the British used it during World War I. ...“Chlorine is very common chemical,” says John Hart, the head of the Chemical and Biological Security Project at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. “It has no real value in state-to-state conflict in cases where the forces have [chemical weapons] protective equipment and training.”

Here's the full OPCW announcement:

At a meeting of the OPCW Executive Council held today, the Director-General announced the creation of an OPCW mission to establish facts surrounding allegations of use of chlorine in Syria.The Syrian government, which has agreed to accept this mission, has undertaken to provide security in areas under its control.  The mission will carry out its work in the most challenging circumstances.



Delegations speaking at today’s Executive Council meeting expressed their full support for this mission.  The UN Secretary-General Mr. Ban Ki-moon has also expressed his support and assured the assistance of the United Nations in meeting the significant security and logistical demands of this mission.



The team is expected to depart for Syria soon.

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story