McClatchy DC Logo

US designates Nigeria's Boko Haram as terrorist group | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

National Security

US designates Nigeria's Boko Haram as terrorist group

Hannah Allam - McClatchy Interactive

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 13, 2013 04:57 PM

The State Department announced Wednesday that it had designated Nigeria's Boko Haram and a splinter group, Ansaru, as foreign terrorist organizations. U.S. officials say the groups have ties to al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, better known as AQIM, and are responsible for "thousands of deaths" throughout Nigeria in recent years.

The State Department said Boko Haram carried out indiscriminate attacks in Nigeria’s Benisheikh in September, killing more than 160 civilians, including women and children.

Boko Haram has also conducted attacks against international targets, including a suicide bombing that killed 21 people at the UN building in Abuja in 2011. Many of the dead were aid workers supporting development projects across Nigeria, the statement added.

The Boko Haram spinoff group Ansaru was behind the abduction and execution of seven international construction workers earlier this year, the statement said.

SIGN UP

"These designations are an important and appropriate step, but only one tool in what must be a comprehensive approach by the Nigerian government to counter these groups through a combination of law enforcement, political, and development efforts," the State Department statement said.

Two senior U.S. officials who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity Wednesday didn't offer details of the Nigerian militants' alleged ties to AQIM, saying only that the groups had received al Qaida training and limited financing.

The officials also didn't explain the timing of the designation, but said that it had followed "an extensive process of review." Boko Haram leaders previously were designated individually by the United States. The Nigerian government declared the group a terrorist organization last year, the officials said. The U.S. official also said that the Nigerian government had been told in advance of the designation and was "on board" with the decision.

Here's an excerpt from the backgrounder by the U.S. officials:

The consequences of these designations include an asset freeze against Boko Haram and Ansaru, and a prohibition against knowingly providing material support to either organization.  In addition to denying both groups access to the U.S. financial system, these designations will assist law enforcement efforts to pursue these groups and investigate and prosecute individuals associated with Boko Haram and Ansaru’s terror.  These designations notify the world that the United States and Nigeria are jointly combatting the extremist violence of Boko Haram and Ansaru.

Some background from an al Jazeera

story

on the designations:

Boko Haram, which translates as "Western education is sinful", stepped up its attacks against civilians and government installations this year, prompting the government to declare a state of emergency in the states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa last May.The group has since 2009 been fighting to create an Islamic state in the country's mainly Muslim north.

  Comments  

Videos

West Virginia Secretary of State’s office announces pilot program for mobile voting app

TSA releases new audio from September 11, 2001

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Climate change played key role in Syrian civil war and helped Brexit, Al Gore says

March 24, 2017 10:19 AM

Read Next

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has left our closest ally in the Middle East shaken as Israel comes to grips with even greater implications after the United States announced it was leaving Syria.

KEEP READING

MORE NATIONAL SECURITY

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

Guantanamo

Did Pentagon ban on Guantánamo art create a market for it? See who owns prison art.

December 21, 2018 10:24 AM
Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

Congress

Graham, Trump go to war over Syrian troop withdrawal

December 20, 2018 02:59 PM
Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

Congress

Lindsey Graham slams Trump for declaring victory over ISIS in Syria

December 19, 2018 01:22 PM
Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

National Security

Military panel’s top Dem: War Powers Resolution won’t move White House on Yemen

December 12, 2018 04:32 PM
Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

Cyber Security

Khashoggi’s friends, other foreigners, are being watched. The U.S. can do little about it

December 11, 2018 05:00 AM
Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

Energy

Military’s push for solar backup power loses speed under Trump

November 28, 2018 11:20 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story